What's new

Has anyone seen the 3 hour version of 1963's Cleopatra? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Ramon
Hello everyone, and is there any way I can purchase it from 20th or any other legal avenue? Preferably in dvd form.

Real Name
Ramon
I'm not sure there is such a version. You could purchase the 251 minute version and fast forward through portions...

Hello, thank you for answering me, yes there is such a version, the roadshow version of Cleopatra was 4 hours and 12 minutes, this is what Joseph L. Mankiewicz approved but since it was too long, for general release it was cut down to 3 hours. I am desperately wanting to purchase it but no idea how, I found this website, it seems the version listed is the 3 hour one: http://media2.criterionpic.com/htbin/wwform/014?T=F00186

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Hello everyone, and is there any way I can purchase it from 20th or any other legal avenue? Preferably in dvd form.

I very much doubt that there ever was a 3 hour version . It was originally 4 hours and 4 minutes (70mm version).That was the version that was screened for the censor,where I worked. Fox then cut the film by an hour and we ended up screening the shorter version (which was not successful). I understand that the 4 hour version was screened in NYC but a year later the 3 hour version was substituted.(correct me if I am wrong). Most countries only ever screened the 3 hr version in 70mm. It made the film a little dis-jointed by cutting an hour out of it. However it was (and still is) the most spectacular film that I ever saw but it wasn't a pleasure having to endure seeing the slow moving film every day during its run. 3 hours was more than enough. It did however, look very spectacular on our 60 ft wide curved screen. The 3 hour version that you want probably never existed as all 70mm prints were 4 hrs originally until the Fox butchers removed an hour and scrapped the footage. I guess it was the same for the 35mm prints . The film is best see as a 4 hour version as it was meant to be seen. The 3 hr version that you are after,was only the 4 hr version re-edited (butchered) by Fox before it's release and AFTER the 4 hour prints had already been delivered around the world. Each country had to edit their 4 hr prints down to 3 hrs ,as demanded by Fox.This made the numerous cuts very obvious when seen in 70mm.

Real Name
Ramon
I very much doubt that there ever was a 3 hour version . It was originally 4 hours and 4 minutes (70mm version).That was the version that was screened for the censor,where I worked. Fox then cut the film by an hour and we ended up screening the shorter version (which was not successful). I understand that the 4 hour version was screened in NYC but a year later the 3 hour version was substituted.(correct me if I am wrong). Most countries only ever screened the 3 hr version in 70mm. It made the film a little dis-jointed by cutting an hour out of it. However it was (and still is) the most spectacular film that I ever saw but it wasn't a pleasure having to endure seeing the slow moving film every day during its run. 3 hours was more than enough. It did however, look very spectacular on our 60 ft wide curved screen. The 3 hour version that you want probably never existed as all 70mm prints were 4 hrs originally until the Fox butchers removed an hour and scrapped the footage. I guess it was the same for the 35mm prints . The film is best see as a 4 hour version as it was meant to be seen. The 3 hr version that you are after,was only the 4 hr version re-edited (butchered) by Fox before it's release and AFTER the 4 hour prints had already been delivered around the world. Each country had to edit their 4 hr prints down to 3 hrs ,as demanded by Fox.This made the numerous cuts very obvious when seen in 70mm.

Hello, thank you for answering, yes I mean the butchered version, I very much want to see it because, as much as I love Cleopatra, at 4 hours the film is unwatchable. Also, I do not like the official bluray which has altered color that is way off compared to the original which you can see was more in the warm, yellow tones as opposed to the blue, opaque and magenta bluray. I've tried making my own version of it with Wondershare Filmora, I did not like the results and the program somehow makes the sound go out of sync. Do you remember which scenes were taken out? I know the bath scene with Caesar was taken out.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Hello, thank you for answering, yes I mean the butchered version, I very much want to see it because, as much as I love Cleopatra, at 4 hours the film is unwatchable. Also, I do not like the official bluray which has altered color that is way off compared to the original which you can see was more in the warm, yellow tones as opposed to the blue, opaque and magenta bluray. I've tried making my own version of it with Wondershare Filmora, I did not like the results and the program somehow makes the sound go out of sync. Do you remember which scenes were taken out? I know the bath scene with Caesar was taken out.

I have no idea which scenes were cut from the 4 hr version.I would have to watch the film again to see what was not in the 3 hr version. You are looking at 25% of the film removed, which was a huge amount.I remember one love scene that was shortened considerably.I have not seen the bluray for a long time. Maybe it is time to watch it again. I did see the 3 hr version many times in 70mm where I worked but only ever seen the 4 hr version couple of times.

Real Name
Ramon
I have no idea which scenes were cut from the 4 hr version.I would have to watch the film again to see what was not in the 3 hr version. You are looking at 25% of the film removed, which was a huge amount.I remember one love scene that was shortened considerably.I have not seen the bluray for a long time. Maybe it is time to watch it again. I did see the 3 hr version many times in 70mm where I worked but only ever seen the 4 hr version couple of times.

ooh I would love it if you could tell me what was left out, only if you want to of course.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
ooh I would love it if you could tell me what was left out, only if you want to of course.

I would if I had the time to watch again the 4 hour film and make a note of the scenes that were removed. I really do not have the time to do so.Maybe one day I will watch it again but at the moment,I have too many dvds and blurays to watch.Many have been sitting on my shelf for a few months. Lots of catching up to do.

Real Name
Ramon
I would if I had the time to watch again the 4 hour film and make a note of the scenes that were removed. I really do not have the time to do so.Maybe one day I will watch it again but at the moment,I have too many dvds and blurays to watch.Many have been sitting on my shelf for a few months. Lots of catching up to do.

oh k, thanks anyway!

Real Name
Ramon

is there anybody you know that could give me the detailed information of what scenes were cut?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Is there anyone else that can help me? or at least suggest which scenes I can delete?

If you were able to do that, wouldn't that be an infringement of copyright especially if you then made a copy of the 3 hour version? The only people who would know what was removed would be those people ,like myself, who worked in a cinema showing the 3 hour version and managed to see the film numerous times. There may not be many of us around any more.

Real Name
Ramon
If you were able to do that, wouldn't that be an infringement of copyright especially if you then made a copy of the 3 hour version? The only people who would know what was removed would be those people ,like myself, who worked in a cinema showing the 3 hour version and managed to see the film numerous times. There may not be many of us around any more.

It's for my own use, I won't share it.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
There is a scene late in the film when Cleopatra is told that Ceasarion has been captured by Roman forces that was removed from the long version. At the time this was considered a significant loss, because it is a major reason for her suicede, feeling totally alone with no reason to live with both Ceasaron and Anthony gone

Real Name
Ramon
There is a scene late in the film when Cleopatra is told that Ceasarion has been captured by Roman forces that was removed from the long version. At the time this was considered a significant loss, because it is a major reason for her suicede, feeling totally alone with no reason to live with both Ceasaron and Anthony gone

that is one of the best scenes. To be fair, my 3 hour version felt too bare and didn't really work.

Real Name
Ramon
The 3 hour version is dreadful....cutting out major sequences that change the characters motivations.

I guess you are right, my curiosity is just because I wanted a shorter version, but I guess it is impossible. I believe shakespeare's antony and cleopatra is almost 4 hours long too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks