Has anyone seen Gymkata? (a 10 on the unintentional comedy scale?!?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Abbott, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Here are a couple of quotes from the summary and reviews over at imdb:

Summary

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

it is stupid funny, but not something you'd watch more than once just to say "yeah, i saw that movie, what a laugh that is..."
    btw, Kurt Thomas owned a Gym in Plano, TX. My old boss' daughter was one of his gymnists. Many people remind Kurt of his wonderful contribution to the film community throughout the year [​IMG]

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Okay, this is the second time today I've heard/seen someone mention "Gymkata"...

Are you listening to the Tony Bruno show?

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I used to own this masterpiece (taped from cable). I was young, but I recall watching it more than once. Sad, really.

Take care,

Chuck

5. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    I've been hearing about it a lot over on ESPN.com from a writer named Bill Simmons. He has mentioned this movie several times in articles that he has written. The most recent time was in his (hilarious) review of the movie Rollerball:
    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020214.html
    What kind of radio show does Tony Bruno do and is he syndicated?

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Gymkata was perfect MST3K material. It really is the bottom of the barrel. There are terible fight scenes with slow motion shots of pointless activities (like the crazies running).
    The 'pommel horse' incident is the real highlight. Throughout this two are barely disguised gymnastics equipment that Kurt uses to decimate the population of crazies. The townspeople horde him to the central square, which features a pommel horse, and then approach him in groups of 2 so that he can kick them all. This goes on, in groups of 2 or 3, for about 5 minutes. Repeatedly, and without variation. One of the most unintentionally funny things ever.
    Unfortunately, the 'fan' page for this gem has a broken gallery, or I would point you to the examples. Instead, read through the IMDb User Comments for a laugh.

7. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

I am so embarassed.
    I actually saw this one in the theaters back when it came out, '85 or '86 if I recall correctly.
    I would watch each and every pseudo-martial arts movie that came down the pike... I think 99.999% of them were produced by Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus.
    And even with my admittedly horrendously low standards for cinema at the time, my 14-year-old persona thought Gymkata was a smouldering pantload.
    Much, much worse than fruitcup...

8. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Oh yes, I rented it when I was 12 or so. (Back when I was into Ninja movies) I remember the cemetary/pommel horse fight scene.

Classic.

9. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Yup.
    The thing that struck me as more ridiculous then having a pommel horse in the middle of town was the fact that it was (I believe) a granite/rock formation in the perfect shape of a pommel horse. So not only do you have an object that is completely out of place, but one that also looked completely unnatural as far as rock formations go. [​IMG]
    That pommel-horse scene really tends to stick with you, as do a few others -such as Kurt just happening to come across a parallel bar placed in an alleyway so that he might kick people while doing 360-degree loops. Oddly enough, this LAME idea was kind of 'borrowed' for the scene in "The Lost World" involving Jeff Goldblum's gymnast daughter kicking the raptor as she flipped around the beam. I guess Spielberg saw 'Gymkata' too.
    This movie defines BAD, but I am pretty sure that you will get a few good laughs. You will probably be shaking your head in disbelief that something like this could have ever gotten financial backing. :b