Has anyone received an e-mail (spam?) offering free 42" HDTV in exchange for testing?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dick, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Has anyone responded to an offer to receive a free 42" HDTV in exchange for your testing the unit and filing a report?

If this is a scam, what sort of scam is it? What would these people be after, if there is no money exchanged?

They don't even ask for a credit card #.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Does it sound too good to be true?

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Most likely it is just fishing to get a reply from you. Information such as your valid email address, or if they even go further and get your mailing address.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I get offers of free stuff all the time. Mostly gift certificates. I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten foot pole. You would just be asking for trouble if you responded to any such offer.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

and how is that different than the barrage of spam I already recieve (even though I don't respond to those emails) [​IMG]

Man, we're at that point again where the spammers have found ways around my spam blocking again. I had just gotten it down where I wasn't getting many, but this past week, I've been SLAMMED with stuff getting through.

Dick, if you're really interested in seeing what happens if you respond; set yourself up with an "alternate" email address through Google, Yahoo, etc. and send a response to that email. At least if it's a scam, your 'fake' email will get bombarded and not your personal address.

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

The "Free iPod" people got caught selling off the email addresses of those who responded to their offer. Do the math.