What's new

Has anyone received a Tumult yet? (1 Viewer)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
UPDATE!!

we figured out that in the haste of putting it together and hearing it, we forgot to take the foam that was taped to the back of the PR's off (where the weights go).. WOOHOO, that was the tearing off sound, the tape coming off the back of the PR.. that is why it started to sound good, after I shaked it off :b

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
um, thats better. the performance like doubled! now im a very happy camper.. I think i can finally say that I have enough bass in my HT, never thought I would say that.. maybe the two pieces of styrafoam taped to the PRs were limiting performance :D

Craig

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Anthony,

With the Tumults High Gauss Factor and Super Tyte(Tm) Motor
Structure you have to use a bare minimum of 2.5" Thick Cold
Cast Arcrylic (Dupont Trade Name Lucite(Tm)) to take full
advantage of the superior Gauss Field Strength. The Piezo
Dynamical Inductance Factors of 1" or even 1.5" Arcrylic
are not quite high enough to saturate and store the proper
amount of Free Radicals within thier dense microdynamic
cell substructure.

(Snap back to reality, Ohh there goes Gravity..) :D

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Craig how does the Tumult compare to the 1803? I have the two 1803's and am curious. Thanks Mike

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Mike,

in my room anyways with the alignments I have, the Tumult seems to hit quite a bit harder than the 1803. it is a little hard to do a fair comparison since they sound so different.. I figured the PR box would sound the same as a ported box, just without the ports, but it doesn't.. Where the 1803 is more of a slower type bass, while watching the Tumult/PR's, its like it hits the note with authority and then snaps back quickly waiting for the next note.. I still don't think I will get rid of the 1803, it compliments the Tumult nice in my HT room and for the coolness factor alone.. Too bad the box is the size of a coffin and weighs 300lbs.. ;)

Craig

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Al,

yes I probably will fix that one too after i pay off this $2000 :D .. the box you built for me is a work of art, can't see a seem anywhere, AWESOME! looks as good as my Paradigm reference and they are some sweet looking speakers.. thanks again, buddy!

Craig

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Craig was the $2000 Canadian or U.S? Did that include the Amp? I built two 1803 subs and bought a Crest LT2000 for $1800. The only problem I had going from the Lt1000 to the Lt2000 was fan noise is louder on the 2000.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Mike,

the $2g was Canadian.. it was about $500 for the dual PR's, $625 for the Tumult, $350 for the cabinet to be made (including all materials and labour) and about $600 for 1/2 of my Crest amp that powers it.. in the end, i think it was well worth it as I will no longer have to address shortcomings in my sub woofer system :D

Craig

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that looks really great! Yep, PR boxes do have a sound of their own, and it's better than you'd expect given their inferior transient response on paper. Very nice!

Sorry if I missed it, but what are the specifics of the alignment...Vb, Fb, etc?

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Jack,

it is based on one you said you liked the response of a few months ago.. when we were talking about how it is hard to fit enough portage inside a box as small as the tumult likes to work in.. it then became evident that a passive radiator setup was the most logical.. it is 150L tuned to 18hz with 800w..

Craig

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I remember, I do like that alignment. :emoji_thumbsup: Lots of headroom built in, also, doesn't look like you're anywhere near the excursion limits for driver or PRs.
If your amp is stable into less than 2 ohms, maybe you can try running one channel into each VC for even more power...yikes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks