Has anyone received a 10%-off coupon from Best Buy lately?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, May 1, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Unfortunately, I haven't. There's a title I want to pick up, but I haven't gotten a coupon in the mail in a while.

2. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

nope, the latest they've had is the coupon book if you buy a dvd player above a set price. That's the only discount I've seen.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Hmmm...it IS starting to seem like it's been a bit long between preferred customer discount weekends, now that you mention it.
    Suddenly I'm not feeling the love! [​IMG]
    Hey, cool...post 3001. Is this my "final odyssey"? [​IMG]

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I hadn't even received them the last 2 times people spoke of them on the forum. They would be wise to send them out though, I tend to go spend more than I already planned in that given week when they do.

5. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    The last 2 Preferred Customer weekends coincided with 3 day weekends: Martin Luther King Day and President's Day. I'm hoping we'll see one for Memorial Day weekend.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Don't get me started again, youse guys![​IMG]
    I still haven't gotten a preferred customer discount from Best Buy even though I figure I've spent about a gajillion dollars there! [​IMG]
    Why don't they like me?!?! [​IMG]
    I have returned stuff there, registered at their web site, paid by check for stuff there (another $60 bucks tonight!), but nothing. The only thing I haven't done is gotten their credit card, but others have posted here and said that's not how its done because they get the coupons and don't have the credit card.
    I just want to be included. [​IMG]

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Mike,

If I were you, I would take 10 minutes one day and write a short letter to the main office about it. I'm sure you would get them then.

8. David Lambert

Ditto to what Dave H said...complain!

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

D'oh!
    I will do just that: send a written note to corporate HQ. I'll let you know what happens! [​IMG]

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Rumor has it that you only get those coupons if you're a Best Buy credit card owner. What's my rumor source? A manager at a Lexington, KY Best Buy. Just a rumor, nothing confirmed. Just speculate amongst yourselves.

11. David Lambert

Dome, this has been said MANY MANY times before here, and a BB employee told me the same thing.

But I get the coupons, and I've NEVER held a BB credit card!

It seemed to start right after we moved into our new house, and they are addressed using a mis-spelling peculiar to one of the contract forms we filled out while closing on the house. Hmmm...sounds like someone sold a mailing list to me! In fact, we get tons of jusk mail addressed to the particular address. Interesting, no?

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Same here. No credit card, but I used to get the coupons. It's too bad they didn't put identifiers on the coupons to see who was using them and who wasn't... and send accordingly.

13. David Lambert

Actually, at first I didn't use the discount coupons because I thought that there WERE identifiers showing who did and didn't use them, and perhaps tracking what they bought with them.

I don't like the invasion of privacy involved with that concept. It's the same reason I refuse to use the Kroger Plus card.

I saw samples from Kroger's database once (it was a professional situation; I'm a data processor). You would be astounded, amazed, and dismayed by what information they have about YOU because of this. Weird example: If you bought in the same trip on one or more occassion at least a pound of ground beef, some eggs, some tomato sauce, and some crackers or bread, and maybe some vegetables, then they can mark your household down as one that likes meatloaf. It's spooky. AND invasive.

All made possible by giving you a few pennies worth of discount on every trip. Oh, and they are FORCING the stores to push the Kroger Plus card use so much, that scared employees who fear for their jobs are now keeping all-purpose cards nearby. If a customer (like me) says they don't have one and don't intend to sign up for one, they pull out the all-purposee card and use it. You get the discount anyway, the store looks like they have a high percentage of K+ Card use, and the employee keeps their performance level high.

To bring this back on-topic: if I suspected any store I bought DVDs from were using a similar tracking method, they would lose my business immediately!

14. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

I find the coupons increasingly difficult to use. It seems like every time their lawyers and marketing people review the fine print, they manage to add a few more exclusions. It's getting to the point where you can't use them on sale items, clearance, open box, new, used, red, blue, green, silver or black items--or anything with a bar code or serial number. It's getting to the point where I start to wonder what I can use the coupons for!

15. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

16. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I can't figure out how they determine who gets these 10% coupons. I seem to get one every other time. Like some of you I don't have a BB credit card, either.

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I don't have a BB card and have never made a huge purchase there, yet I usually get them.

18. Jack

Jack Agent

Well guess I will mention yes we received one for this weekend (10% coupon). I have a BB Card, yet wife received coupon in her name, should be intresting conversation to follow. haha.

Go figure!!

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Well, well, well. Look what I received in the mail today, just nine days after starting this thread. Coupons. I really like this one:

10% off if I buy one movie or CD; 15% off if I buy 2; 20% off if I buy 3 (which is max). This is for May 17-19. I received a couple other coupons; one for software and devices.

20. David Lambert

Oooh! I hope I get some of those coupons, Dave H! I could use those that weekend! [​IMG]