Has anyone posted good pictures of the chroma bug in action?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jul 18, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The subject of the chroma bug comes up all the time, and invariably, someone new to the subject will ask what it is. As they always say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I think we passed the thousand-word mark on this subject a long time ago. [​IMG] So, has anyone (a HTF member or not) posted pictures of the chroma bug anywhere on the web? I'd love to see A/B pictures of movies in which one picture shows a chroma-bug player doing its bad deed and the other shows a non-chroma-bug player doing its good one. Such pictures might help a lot of people. Obviously, a web site that showed such pictures for a lot of players -- sort of a "chroma bug depository" -- would be great. So, is there anything on the Internet? Thanks in advance.

2. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Hello, Keith. The Secrets of Home Video has pictures in their article on the chroma bug: chroma bug
    The Toy Story menu picture shows it the best, it appears. I'm with you; are there any others?

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Call me blind but i honestly don't see it in the Toy Story menu... Can someone point out the specific area for me? I have 20 20 vision. If someone tells me exactly what to look for, i'll pop the movie in on my Mitsubishi through my 9K and check it out again. Thanks.

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

whoops

5. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

Very good thread. I have the Pioneer DV-440 at home and Toy Story. I'll have a look at the suggested scenes for the chroma bug. If I have to squint and strain to see it, however, this bug won't be a pest to me.
    Thanks for the link, Robert.

David

6. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Be careful of what you ask for. I never saw that bug until someone showed it too me and it was there all the time. I promptly went out and bought a new chroma-free player and declared my wonderful Toshiba 9200 crap.

This hobby will make you lose your mind.

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Chip,
    Take a look at the blue area around the word "Toy". If you have the problem, it will show up as streaks. It's pretty obvious in the photo.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks, all. I was wondering if the Secrets site had something. I doubt anyone has the ability to get a lot of players for comparison, nor the time to play with them, but a depository of such information for a lot of players would be very cool. Has anyone registered www.chromabug.com ? [​IMG]
    EDIT
    Actually, someone has registered www.chromabug.com , but I am not sure it has anything to do with home theater. All I can say is that the picture of the guy at the bottom of the page freaks me out. [​IMG]

10. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

By the way, I agree with the notion of "Be careful what you wish for." If you don't see the chroma bug with a player that is known to exhibit it, don't go looking for it! Well, I guess if you are looking for an excuse to upgrade, then go ahead! [​IMG]

12. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Keith,I just got to say thanks for asking this question[​IMG] I was one that was lost for what the croma bug was & now I understand it. The bad part is I'm pretty sure player has it[​IMG] (Sony DVPC-650D) I always thought what I was seeing was just something in the transfer on the DVD,but now I think this may be what I'm seeing.
    The only question I have is will it appear at all times or just dependent to what the image is? I have maybe 10 to 15 movies out of 150 that I notice the problem with. When watching them it will have alot of crawl across the screen like the pictures in the above link show.
    Like others have suggested this may be the perfect excuse for an upgrade,my player is getting kinda old anyway.[​IMG]

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

This is sorta a good example of how ignorance is bliss.

My commercial theaters (edwards stadium 20) have large screens that are made up of vertical strips. After using a keen eye to notice imperfections, I told my friends of all the imperfections in the commercial theater.

Some theaters have small tears that have been repaired (but still slightly noticeable). Others have vertical seam lines that are barely noticeable.

After telling them about these they started noticeing them every time they went and it can distract sometimes.

hehe

14. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Keith, actually the chromabug site is in fact about the chroma upsampling error. You can see the blue and red streaks through the bugs on the site. You can read more about his crusade.

15. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

16. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

In Players with the Sage/Faroudja chipset there is a feature called "Cross Color Suppression", which causes some color saturated areas to flicker, most notably in animation.

The better implementations give the ability to turn animation mode on and off, which toggles the CCS feature on and off so that the flicker bug does not occur.

I am currently using the Kenwood 5700, which has an animation mode switch, and it is set to off, ironically even when watching animation.

Regards,

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe,
    No problem. I have the Sony 'C670D, which was the successor to your 'C650D, and it probably has the chroma bug too. [​IMG] However, I have never noticed it on my everyday 27" TV. [​IMG] My fiancee and I are talking about getting a widescreen HDTV when we are settled in, and we will probably upgrade the DVD at time too. Gotta have progressive-scan at that point. [​IMG]
    James,
    I noticed the picture of the bugs with the streaks last night and was thinking that site might be dedicated to the chroma bug, well sort of. There is no information there yet, but I was thinking the guy might share our interest. Still, that picture at the bottom freaks me out. Thanks for the other link. I'll check it out.
    John,
    Does the "flicker bug" always show up when the CCS feature is engaged? In other words, on players that give you the option to turn it on and off, do you see the flicker bug with it turned on?

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, that thread on AVS Forum makes for an entertaining read. Now I understand the picture of the guy on chromabug.com. It is of a key player for one of the chip manufacturers. "Chroma_Bug" shows a picture of him in the thread you referenced.