Has anyone played Final Fantasy nine

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas A. N., Feb 12, 2003.

1. Nicholas A. N.

Can anyone give me there thoughts on ffix.

2. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

A bit more of a defined set of questions might be a good idea, since I have no idea what you want to know.

3. Nicholas A. N.

I would like to know if anyone has had bad experience with this game or if you liked it and would like to give me your personal review.

4. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I just bought a Playstation 2 so I picked up the following games:
    Chrono Cross
    Final Fantasy 8
    Final Fantasy 9

I can't stand playing 8, the game really lacks in many areas.

Chrono Cross is pretty fun, nothing special though.

But Final Fantasy 9 is a blast. The characters are funny, the dialog definitely has its moments, the game's pace moves pretty quickly. I'm about 75% done with the first CD and I definitely like what I see so far.

5. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

I liked it, thought it was great.

Far better than 8, in my opinion. Above average graphics for the time, a fair number of hidden objects which are pretty fun to "dig out" (with a pun there), a good storyline, pretty nice music, and a sweet ending. Very classically tilted in terms of direction, and a great bargain.

Oh yes, and the learning of new abilities was handled very well also.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Actually, I really liked this one right up until the ending. Not going to give anything away, but the story falls prey to all of the standard cliches. I do like that each of the characters has a distinct personality and abilities in ff9 though, and that there were times when you were forced to use certain characters to accomplish an objective. It also has the pointy-hat mages, which is a big plus. Definitely one of the better FF games.

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

And... the dissenter :p). I became so bored with Final Fantasy IX about halfway through that I gave up on it and shelved it for nearly a year before going back and finally finishing it off.

Like most Final Fantasies it makes in-roads to being a good story, but never carries through. The first couple discs when you have no control over who is in your party, that's great. There's one section in particular where you have to control two different parties switching back and forth (not by your own choice) and it's tense, excellent fun.

But the latter half is just, eh. Typical angst, typical Final Fantasy. I do like some of the characters, but it's nowhere close to my favorite Final Fantasy.

I will warn you that slow battle speed really drives me up the wall in any game so that definitely factors in here, as it borders on tedium after a couple battles. That's what really pushed me over the edge into tossing the title when combined with my disinterest in the story. It only got completed because I am a completist for RPGs.

Your mileage may vary, naturally. I couldn't stand Final Fantasy 8 either for similar reasons (and finished it for similar reasons), making the only Final Fantasy on the Playstation I've liked was 7. Couldn't stand 10 either, so take my opinion with salt as FF games have really fallen out of my favor in recent years since I'm way more a gameplay person than I am a snazzy CGI cutscene person.

My advice? Get Chrono Cross. Best RPG Square made in years, in my opinion, and blessedly quick fighting plus an awesomely twisty storyline. CGI where appropriate, memorable characters, brilliant game.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

8 gets a bad rap because the Junction system (the system used for adding abilities and such to your character) was too complicated. Most gamers opted to not touch it, which resulted in the game being too difficult (it was pretty hard anyway). If you REALLY get into the Junction system and see how it works, you can be unstoppable by the middle of the second disc.

I loved FF9. It's one of the most well-rounded FF games. The only problem is that compared to some of the things from other FF games, most of FF9 is forgettable. I remember the ending, most of the opening, and a few key points, but I remember more of FF6, 7, 8, and 10.

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I don't see what was so tough about the Junction system-I thought it gave you a whole pile of flexibility in how you customized your characters. True, it made magic a little meaningles, but there were a lot of effects that you could experiment with. 99x death to attack effect-how could you NOT like it?

Mark-I'm going to have to disagree on Chrono Cross-I just couldn't get into it. Too many cookie-cutter characters, and I've always hated the "silent main character" cliche (although it didn't bother me much in DW7).

You did remind me of one of the best aspects of ff9 though-the forced multiple parties. I remember that there was one bit where you needed to use four parties at once (which means that you HAVE to use Quina) that was quite well done. Reminded me a lot of FF4 in that respect (still the best FF game yet).

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

No worries Chris, I didn't work on the game so it's no skin off my nose [​IMG]. I think Chrono Cross has surprising depth of character for the number of NPCs you can recruit, but yes some are not only useless but poorly developed.

Final Fantasy 4 is the pinnacle of a FF game for me, and I think my problem is that I compare every FF game since it to that one and they're always lacking. It's funny though, since FFX is linear in a similar manner but lacks the fun and excitement.

The way FF4 treated its characters they had great development, memorable qualities, and classic dialogue (Yes, spoony bard is classic [​IMG]). I wanted to play it non-stop just to see what twist was coming up or who was going to get injured/killed/turn evil next.

As I'm fond of saying, nowadays there's a big bruhaha if ONE character gets killed. Puh-lease, that's hardly dramatic when you know that it'll almost certainly never happen. Square pulls punches now that they didn't used to.

Morgan, I disagree about the junction system. I used it to beat the game and it's not hard once you figure it out, it's just stupid-tedious the way you have to draw, and draw, and draw just to get anything out of it. I put more time into FF8 than any other Final Fantasy and get the least amount of fun in return, which is why I really don't like it. The storyline is waaaaay too pedestrian as well.

11. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I have a coworker here at work that loved 8, but got bored with 9. It seems like a fairly common response around here. I enjoyed 9, I played 8 for about 5-7 hours and was too disgusted by the need to draw magic to keep with it much longer.

Another good thing about 9, I actually died sometimes in 9! Some battles required strategy! Unlike FFX, I died maybe twice? 3 times? I will also agree that I enjoyed that there was no "ALL YOUR CHARACTERS CAN DO EVERYTHING!!"ness in 9. However, the plot was kind of cliche, but very FF-retro, I liked it...the little pointy hat mages made for good story.

I loved Chrono Trigger, but didn't dig all the characters and the everybody-tosses-spells style of Chrono Cross.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I found 8's story to be one of the best overall when you take all aspects into account, even if some parts are a bit cheesy.

Though FF9's execution of the story was a lot better (less CGI, yet still amazing in quality and effective for it's purpose).

I also really liked Chrono Cross. Yeah, a lot of characters had no depth, but if you actually wanted to find out more about them, each of them had a side quest or two related JUST to them. The game itself was also amazing and fun. The main character never speaks because the main character in Chrono Trigger never spoke.

14. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Things that come to mind when thinking of FF9:

- looooooong battle load times
    - mish mash of themes recycled from previous Final Fantasies, except with poorer, forced execution
    - great chocobo digging minigame - better than the actual game itself!

15. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

In case you haven't noticed yet, Nicholas, this is why I asked about a defined set of questions. Opinions vary all over the place on the Final Fantasy/Square games. Between the fanatics, the backlashers, and some more middle of the road folk (for instance, someone on another board boldly proclaimed "ne1 hu playz ff cant like GRANDIA gamez" which is a poorly written pile of crap, as I have all the FF series from 4 up, both have played, enjoyed and beaten both Grandia 1 and 2.) that often pop up, there's little consensus. Better to rent (or for the price, buy in this case) and discover for oneself.

16. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Here's how I rank the PSOne efforts

Story
    1. Final Fantasy VIII
    2. Final Fantasy VII
    3. Final Fantasy IX

Gameplay
    1. Final Fantasy IX
    2. Final Fantasy VIII
    3. Final Fantasy VII

I'm probably in the minority of people who loved Final Fantasy VIII and took the time to learn the Junction system. Call me old-fashioned, but I still much prefer the traditional means of levelling up and using spells that cost MP.

Final Fantasy IX was a return to the old-school Final Fantasy I came to know and love. Still, I had some huge disappointments with certain aspects of the game. I've gotten into huge arguments with a friend of mine over the end boss.

My friend thinks the end boss is the coolest thing in the world. I tell him he's an idiot, and it makes no sense for the guy to come out of nowhere. He's like, "So? His whole goal is to bring an end to existence." I keep telling him he just comes out of nowhere, and he says I'm thinking too much.

Another disappointment I had included the weapons/armor. While it's cool to learn abilities, I still want the days where I can hoard weapons/armor a la Final Fantasy IV or Final Fantasy VI.

I will echo somebody's sentiments and say go for Chrono Cross. I'm sorry, but I must disagree with Chris Bardon on the "cookie-cutter" assessment with the characters as it's too much of a blanket statement that covers everybody. If anything, the major characters have a whole lot of development involved, with the minor characters having some and the "window" dressing characters having none.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Dome-

In reference to the text in your spoiler, I have an opinion that mixes yours with your friend's:

While the boss does come out of nowhere, even if he does have a reason to be there, sort of, he's still pretty badass and cool