What's new

Has anyone painted a Chief or other projector mount? (1 Viewer)

Scott99999

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hello,

We're mounting an Epson 5040UB on a cathedral ceiling in a living room which makes the projector super obvious; it's very difficult (or impossible) to find a cathedral ceiling mount + extension pole + mount all in white, so I want to paint the black ones I've received.

The components are a mix of powder coat and gloss. I can go the old route of just priming and spraying (sucks that it's winter here up north and we don't have a good place for this), but I'm wondering if anyone has painted their mount? I'm half wondering if there's a spray shop you could give it to for a more professional job.

Thoughts appreciated.

Best,

Scott

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nothing to it. Just rough up all the pieces with #400 sandpaper and paint it with regular canned spray paint – you’ll probably want gloss white. I’ve had good luck spray painting all kinds of stuff over the years like this, even touch-up paint on cars (back before they all used clear-coat). The trick is the pre-sanding – helps the new paint stick.

If you're not familiar with spray painting, might want to practice on something to make sure you don't get any runs. Runs can also be avoided by keeping the parts horizontal during spraying and until they dry.

Oh, don’t use Rustoleum paint. That stuff takes forever to dry.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks