What's new

Has anyone noticed there "yet to be released on DVD" list is waning? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I made up a list of films that have never been released on DVD in any version that I want to buy and the list is less than 20 titles. That's if you don't count the following trilogies (Back to the Future, Star Wars, Indiana Jones)! Some of what I'm wanting is either announced for next year or rumored. It's amazing the number of great films that have been released since the format debuted!

Was wondering your thoughts?

David

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
From a strictly mathematical perspective my list has to wane as more and more titles are being released. However, until the back catalogs are mined much more deeply my want list is still quite long.
Still waiting for more Preston Sturges, the films of Ernst Lubitsch, silent classics such as Murnau's Sunrise, a vast number of classic film noir releases ( including more films from Fritz Lang, Jules Dassin, & Robert Siodmak ), more Bogart, more John Ford, more WWII films, the titles in the RKO library, more Marx Brothers, more foreign classics, more contemporary films such as Branaugh's Hamlet, more Disney animation, and so on. Do you see a trend? :)
While I'm happy to see the release of so many popular titles, my want list is still quite comprehensive.
- Walter.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I thought the same thing last year. What happened? I bought way more DVDs this year. The fact is that my love of movies is getting greater, and my tastes are expanding to new genres (I'll probably start the noir offensive next year!).
Bottom line is: yes, there are fewer "major" releases coming, but a lot of the forthcoming "minor" releases interest me just as much.
And let's not forget that TV on DVD still hasn't really arrived in full force yet.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Obviously my list is getting shorter, but there are hundreds of titles that are still not out on DVD that I want to buy. For example; I own over 700 titles on laserdisc that have yet to be released on DVD.

If your tastes run strictly for mainstream American films released over the past 20 years, then yes, the list is getting very small.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, my list is getting smaller. But, there is still substantial progress that can be made. Where are the DVD's of Scorsese's After Hours, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, The Last Waltzand King of Comedy???

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
While there are many titles I'd like to see released, I do have a list of personal favorites that have yet to show up on dvd: Santa Sangre, The Ninth Configuration, The Reflecting Skin, Voyager, and Men with Guns to name just a few...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I still have a list of 210 films I want that are not yet on dvd. I won't bore you with the whole thing, here's just a random sampling of a few:

The Thin Man

The African Queen

To Catch a Thief

Kiss Me, Stupid

To Have & Have Not

The Long, Long Trailer

My Darling, Clementine

Out of the Past

Top Hat

Duel

Easter Parade

High Sierra

Meet Me In St. Louis

Fun With Dick & Jane

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Silver Streak

Up In Arms

Man's Favorite Sport

What's Up Doc?

How To Murder Your Wife

The Money Pit

Ice Station Zebra

Darby O'Gill & the Little People

and lots more

Brian-W

Screenwriter
My list hasn't shrank since NO studio in their right mind would release the crappola I want and collect:
  • Hamburger: The Motion Picture
  • Hunk
  • Tiger Town
  • Hardbodies
  • License to Drive
  • El Norte
  • Amazing Stories series
  • Further Adventures of Tenessee Buck
  • Secret Admirer
  • Back to the Beach
  • Cloak and Dagger
  • World's Greatest Athelete
  • Lt. Robin Crusoe U.S.N
  • What's Happening (complete television series)
That's for starters... But I did get Flesh Gordon and Dolemite, and soon Disco Godfather, so I'm not miserable...
-Brian

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
My want list is growing almost at the same rate as my collection ! That is because I keep discovering catalog titles faster than studios are releasing them. I started my collection in late 1997 with a very limited knowledge of movies and a few mainstream action movies on my want list such as Face/Off, Broken Arrow, True Lies, Die Hard, Clear and Present Danger, etc (which ironically are all out on DVD now - and I didn't find any of them worth keeping in my collection). I have come a long way since then - discovering hundreds of wonderful classic movies, foreign movies, and movies from genres such as Musicals, Westerns, Film-Noir etc that I had never explored before. I pick up DVDs at the rate of 1-2 per week, and on the average discover an equal number of hidden gems (at least hidden from me) per week on TCM, AMC, Sundance or IFC. I have to give credit to the hobby of collecting DVDs, and HTF for helping me discover the wonderful world of movies. I don't ever see my want list dwindling down to a handful of titles and that is what makes this hobby so much fun. It is like a moving target you can never reach.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Brian, you're not the only one who would buy What's Happening on DVD. But Columbia owns it and their head's in the sand.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I noticed this as well, as I've just started to buy everything on the AFI Top 100 list. Of course, it's not complete, but compared to the AFI List as referenced in last year's Widescreen Review's Ultimate DVD Guide, the future is looking bright. :)
~~Nathan

Jay_Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
While my list has grown smaller, I'm still frustrated that the following BIG titles haven't been released.

Batman SE

Batman Returns SE

BTAS (full season)

Batman Beyond (full season)

Coppola's Dracula SE

Legend SE

Not sure if I believe Warner's on the Batman releases.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm anxiously awaiting the Batman SE and the Batman Returns SE, but I'm more anxious about the GoodFellas SE. Can't wait for that one.

I wish Criterion would release GoodFellas.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya about Goodfellas, Tom. This movie is just begging for a re-release.

Batman: SE would be very nice too.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
Just two that I am eagerly waiting on...
Where Eagles Dare
Zulu (done properly that this)
..First time poster..long time reader.:)

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
The title I want the most is North to Alaska. Surely I can't be the only John Wayne fan to own a DVD player?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks