What's new

Has anyone made a laminate screen with contact cement ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If so, was it very hard? Any tips for me? I'm thinking of doing this by using contact cement, and gluing onto Medium Density Fiberboard. I already have the MDF, which is painted(my current screen). In order to use the same MDF, I have to get a wooden cleat(1X3) off the back, which the screen hangs on. I put it on with construction adhesive and screws. Then I would flip the MDF over and glue the laminate onto the unfinished side. If I don't screw it up too bad, I can fill the holes, and re-use this side for the laminate. I just don't know if the adhesive will pull off big pieces of the MDF as I try to remove cleat. I talked to a Wilsonart rep today, and he told me the laminate will not adhere to the paint. He also said to paint backside, and all the edges to prevent warping. A guy at Home Depot today, told me my best bet is to lay a 2X4 down against the wooden cleat, then whack it to get the cleat off. And If I try to pry it off it will just keep digging into the MDF and it will be a mess. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
check the laminates very carefully. Most of the ones I looked at (some years ago) would have unpleasant hotspots and glare.

Leo

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
as I said; I hadn't looked at laminates in -- 6 years? Longer? It was scary back then, and I went with a fabric DIY screen then, and then finally migrated (with the rest of the HD migration) to a commercial AT screen.

Leo

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I went with a DIY frame and blackout cloth. Since you can paint it as well, I built it where I could easily replace the cloth if I messed it up or didn't like the paint formula. Turns out, both my wife and I think the picture is just fine the way it is. I haven't touched the screen since I hung it up a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks