Has anyone in this forum returned Diva speakers because they didn't care for them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonBouche, Feb 26, 2002.

1. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

I have read all about these speakers and all the glowing things that have been said, but I haven't heard much from people that have returned them back to the dealer.

If you returned them, please indicate why and what speakers you ended up purchasing.

2. Fletcher

Fletcher Extra

When av123.com was having the sale last summer, I bought a pair of 4.1s for $600 and a pair of 2.1s with free stands for $400. I live in LA so I was able to pick up the speakers myself and forego the shipping fees. Before these speakers I only had the low end B&W bookshelf speakers (302s). The clarity of the Divas made the B&Ws sound like mush. These speakers look really nice in person (the pictures on the websites don't do them justice). The build quality seems to be very good. The 2.1s are big and HEAVY for a bookshelf speaker. The 4.1s had very nice bass extension (not boomy). The 2.1s seemed too bright in comparison to my B&Ws and the 4.1s. I love the 4.1s. I can't believe I only paid $600 for them. People were talking about extensive breakin time required for these speakers. I don't think I listened to the 2.1s for the full 100 hours that people were saying was necessary but I think I was pretty close and they still sounded way too bright to me. My concern was that if they required a long breakin time, then why did the 4.1s sound fine right out of the box? I ended up returning the 2.1s and got the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s instead (I think they were $360 which included shipping but I got hit with sales tax in CA). These speakers seem comparable to the 2.1s in bass extension and detail but they were not bright at all; just right. I am not sure if it was that the 2.1s were too bright on the high end or they were just lacking in the midrange, but it just didn't seem right; my friend came over and listened to them and noticed right away. Could they have eased up if I broke them in more? Possibly. I guess I doubted enough to go ahead and return them. I keep reading all these great reviews on the 2.1s and it just amazes me that all these other people didn't notice what I did. I concluded that I might have gotten a bad pair. Who knows. But I love the 4.1s and almost bought another pair but I decided to hold off since I had spent a lot of money in just 1 month.

Sometime later I got a pair of the Ascend Acoustic HT-200s. These are nice little speakers in every way but they just don't have as much bass extension as I would have liked. It is probably worth the extra money to just get another pair of CBM-170s instead.

In hindsight, if I were to do it all again, I might have tried getting a pair of the norh speakers. I think I would still have gotten the Diva 4.1s since they were such a great deal.

Anyways...hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Fletcher

3. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Take a look over at Audio Asylum, in the Speakers forum; there are some more Diva reviews there.