Has anyone here learned a foreign language....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnRice, Jul 22, 2002.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    ....just to be able to watch foreign films without subtitles?

I admit, subtitles bug me, though they are better than dubbing in most cases. I've been thinking about learning both French and Italian just so I can watch stuff without subtitles. Fortunately, I used to be pretty fluent in Spanish, which is almost the same as Italian.

Am I nuts, or has anyone else done this?

2. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

No! I have done this! I learned English! [​IMG]

3. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I'm learning Swedish so I can read the subtitles on English-language films. [​IMG]

4. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

I'm pretty fluent in Hollywood BS, if that counts?
    "Under Development" - we own it and aren't doing anything with it, but have lawyers standing by to sue anyone who decides to infringe
    "Coming Soon" - we're thinking about starting production in 12 to 18 months, if someone makes coffee first
    "In a World Where ... " - this is our new movie
    "Prepare yourself for ... " - get out your wallet
    "A film by ... " - this guy can't believe we paid him for this, and is laughing at us
    "Action movie" - has gratitious t!^$ in it
    "Drama" - has important-to-plot t!^$ in it
    "Comedy" - doesn't have any t!^$ in it, isn't that funny?
    [​IMG]

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Nope, you are not nuts.

I have seriously considered enrolling for French lessons just so I can turn the subs off.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I wish I had studied harder in French or taken German in college, but I'm certainly not going to go enroll in classes now. Studying would get in the way of movie watching. [​IMG]

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Actually, Brook, I would think that watching movies in whatever language you are learning would help speed the learning process along. So you could legitimately use it as an excuse to watch even more movies. [​IMG]

8. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I am currently studying Italian. Of course it is mostly for my 2 weeks in Florence, Italy next year. Of course, I have added more Italian films to my collection lately.
    [​IMG]

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Of course you're crazy... who would learn alternate languages just to avoid a bit of reading?
    ¿Por supuesto estás loco... quién aprenda otras lenguas para evitar un poco lectura?
    Naturellement vous êtes fou... qui apprend autres langues pour éviter lecture?
    Naturalmente siete insani... chi impara appena altre lingue per evitare un po'di lettura?
    Naturalmente você é insano... quem aprende outras línguas evitar alguma leitura?
    外国語を学ぶかだれが読むことを避けるように確かにあなたは異常であるか
    [​IMG]

10. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I am considering learning Italian...that would certainly enhance my pleasure in watching anything with Monica Bellucci. Especially since so few of her films are available on R1.

Rain, outside of Quebec, just how much of the Canadian population is fluent in French? When I was in Vancouver last June, I saw much of the printed language in stores listed in both English and French.

11. Rain

Rain Producer

Peter,

Even outside of Quebec, most things are required to have both languages (ie. product packaging, some road signs, etc.). I know a few people who speak French, but it's probably no more common (outside of Quebec) than people in the US who can speak Spanish.

At least that's been my experience in the parts of Canada I've lived in (Alberta, BC).

12. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

It's worth learning some German to get a joke or two out of Top Secret that you'd otherwise miss. This line in particular...

"Ich liebe dich mein Schatz!"

13. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

As far as films go, learning English has been invaluable to me. Subtitles and dubs kill so much of the dialogue, especially jokes.

Somewhat OT, I'm considering learning Japanese in order to be able to play the gazillion Japanese console games we never see on this side of the world.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ricardo, you really don't need to be able to read Japanese to play 90% of Japanese games, outside of maybe a few simple words yo ucan find guides to on the net
    I've been osmosizing Japanese for years [​IMG] Unfortunately, this has left me able to command the Imperial Japanese Navy into battle, yet having problems asking where the bathroom is

15. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

16. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John

Kind of what I was thinking. When it comes down to it, I often find subtitles incredibly distracting. From my little experience watching Spanish language movies, they often seem to be surprisingly inaccurate as well. Dubs usually seem to be much more accurate, but have a whole new set of annoyances. I don't know how many times while watching Rain's beloved Children of Paradise I thought, "Damn! I wish I knew French."

18. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    You have no idea how true this is, Rain! I am the living example of this fact. I learned more than half of my English just by watching movies.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

20. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I've got a long list of languages I'd like to learn,

Japanese
    Chinese
    German
    Spanish
    French
    Russian
    Swedish
    Italian

Somehow I can never find the time to get going on even one. I've picked up a bit of Japanese from anime, but not that much.