What's new

Has anyone heard these?- Hodie DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I was just buying up a storm at DVD Empire when I came across these DVD-As I've never seen before:
Click here and scroll to the "Hodie DVD-A" section
I ordered Mozart's Requiem because the SACD I have of this piece is not impressive (sound yes, performance no), and I'm dying to have a great surround sound high-res version of my favorite classical vocal piece.
They have lots of Mozart as well as Beethoven's 9th. Sure, the selection is rather drab (the same pieces released over and over again), but if they sound really good, it would be worth it for me.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Mike: Maybe you already know this, but it's my understanding that the first batch of Hodie dvd-audios were actually made on dvd-recorders that Hodie personally owned, so you had to own a player that could play back recordable dvd discs!
For some reason or other, Hodie couldn't find a disc manufacturer that met their needs, so they just duplicated the titles themselves. This is most probably why they were so extraordinarily expensive a year or so ago.
From what I have read on AudioAsylum, the sound quality is supposed to be excellent.
Link Removed
LJ

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
From what I have read on AudioAsylum, the sound quality is supposed to be excellent.
Audio Asylum giving a DVD-A a good review? Wow, these must be the best sounding DVDs ever! ;)
I'll report back my opinions after listening to it. Thought I've been enjoying classical on SACD a lot more than DVD-A, AIX's Beethoven / Resphigi is proof that great things can be done with orchestral music in DVD-A. I would be thrilled to find recordings like that.
NP: Kenny Burell, Blue Ligts, volume 2, CD

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Hodie is taking the same road as AIX. Record/Mix/Master all in in hi-res digital. I have not heard them either, let us know.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The sonics are quite good.

I'm not a big classical buff, and the tempi that Cobra uses are a bit off from standard.

It's hard for me to seperate the sonics from the performance on these... they feel way too slow, almost ponderous.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks