Has anyone heard of these things and are they any good.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChuckM, Sep 22, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I got an advertisement today from partsexpress.com and I noticed the Aura Bass Shakers. They work on the premise that bass is felt and not heard. I thought the idea was pretty cool because my sub doesn't pump out a whole lot of bass vibrations. So I have three questions to anyone who knows about this product. Are they worth it, are they easy to setup, and how much vibration does it pump out. my listening area is only 9X10. Check it out here for the pro standard

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have only experienced them once; at the EPCOT Center Ultimate Home Theater demo in Orlando.

The first theater room in the demo is outfitted with a Bose(!) Acoustimass system. Its a pretty large room, and without the bass shakers, I doubt there would have been any perception of bass whatsoever.

FWIW, I am not sure who makes the shakers at EPCOT, but they did work well.

I would expect that if your theater has wood floors, you would get a pretty good amount of vibration through the floor.

My room has a concrete floor, so I don't get the same tactile feeling that a wood floor would give. I helped a friend calibrate a HT system in his den, which has a wood floor. Even though my sub would play lower than his by a good 15 Hz, the perception of deep bass was pretty goo din his room.

BGL

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A friend has those attached to his couch. They definitely add to the tactile sensation, but I actually found them annoying. The impression is that there is more bass than there actually is, particularly at lower listening levels (and he has a very nice DIY sono-sub). Kind of cool, but not for me.

4. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I have the 50w version on all 4 seats of the HT. Each seat has one on the butt and on the back. They add a pretty good effect if they are controlled. You can definitely over power them and exaggerate the effect. My friends think they add to the movies. also they are great for watching a movie if you can't turn the sub way up.

they trulu have to be used in a controlled manner to accent and not exaggerate the effect.

i split the sub out and then send one side to the sub and the other to an old JVC receiver. I use a receiver vice an amp to control the ampltude of the signal the shakers receiver. Also it helps boost the signal at loew volumes.

I have a couple of wiring diagrams at home. feel free to email me if you are interested in seeing what I did.

Scott

5. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator

I have the Standard pair in and it more than does the job.

Agree with what Scott has said. Adjusting the volume correctly so that it compliments rather than overpower is the key to preventing them from being annoying. I also think you have to choose which movies are appropriate to use them. Action movies of course; but watching Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Siterhood with your wife, probably not [​IMG]

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    If you want to step up to the next level, check out the Buttkicker line of products. The Aura products will vibrate sections of a chair. The Buttkicker will vibrate a platform with a sofa on it.

7. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

ChuckM

I bought four of the Aura bass shakers from partsexpress and are powering them with an Audiosource 5.1 amp that puts out 100wrms into four ohms. When adjusted properly, they do add a new dimension to watching movies. As was said above, they can be annoying if not adjusted properly. The adjustment is sort of done by "the seat of the pants" (pun intended)using a movie that is rich in low bass like Top Gun or LOTR.
    I have recently bought a Buttkicker amp which is on sale at Musician's Friend for around $399 and they are selling the Buttkicker2 for $249. I got both with free shipping. As said above, the Buttkicker2 will move a whole platform while the bass shakers move only your chair. If you search on "bass shakers" or "Buttkicker" on the web, you will find quite a few reviews concerning tactile transducers. Also, you might check out Guy Kuo's bass shaker mods.
    Happy shaking,
    TCIII