Has anyone heard of Snell Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake T, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

If so, what do you think?
    Jake T

2. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Snell is a highly respected British brand that you hear about more in the 2 channel world. A bit expensive for what you get imho, but some people love em.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

although i've never personally auditioned them, i do beleive they are considered an "audiophile" quality speaker. i think they have a pretty good rep overall.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Absolutely... Snell is a landmark in my two-channel music world, like Vandersteen and many other makes of speakers. They are well respected speakers in the audiophile market.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

5. Larry Proud

Larry Proud Auditioning

When THX first came out Snell made a very nice THX system with 5 speakers and a sub that sold for just under $10K.
    Larry

6. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Yhanks Guys.
    Scott, would you happen to know the prices on the .5 system or the QBX's.
    Jake T

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

8. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

When I purchased my B&Ws I auditioned the Snells.
    They are fantastic sounding speakers. Someone mentioned earlier that they are spendy. I found the B&Ws (600 series) to sound very similar, but a couple hundred bucks cheaper for the similar models.
    When I was auditioning them, they were being driven by a MacIntosh set-up, something that I couldn't afford then or now. I don't remember exact model numbers, but they do sound good.
    It seems like the European magazines recognize them a bit more often than the American mags.
    They also just released a mini monitor setup for the HT. I read a review not long ago that had high accolades for the mini-system. About the same size as the Klipsh quintets.
    Good Luck
    Jeremy

9. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

where can we find info about there products? the link on the THX website doesnt take me to a company website?
    Paul

10. Fredrik E

Fredrik E Stunt Coordinator

11. Ben Reierson

Ben Reierson Extra

A close friend of mine's dad owns a great home theater system that includes a pair of Snell E.5mk2 towers. These are powered by a Sunfire Cinema grand amp. It is easily the best system I have heard, although I'll grant, it is the only audiophile level system I have heard.
    He also has a kick ass Pioneer Elite tv.
    I'll post this pic I took recently, I don't think he even knows it exists [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He uses Paradigm dipoles for the rears, and two Paradigm subwoofers, one in the front and one behind the couch. You can see the two center channels above the tv, but I forget what they are.

12. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Ben: I too utilize Snell (model J's) for L/R fronts, a Paradigm sub and Pioneer Elite 610.
    Tonights feature was Showtime-HD MI2. Great stuff!
    If you friends father does not have HD gear yet, tell him the Elite is crying out for it.

13. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Snell has a reputation for producing extremely high quality speakers that can perform with the best. However, they have been purchased by Boston Acoustics and their new product lines are considerably different from the previous Snell lines. Snell products before BA have been exceptional, I have not auditioned the newer "Boston" lines.
    Tom

14. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I auditioned some snell floor standing speakers and I did not like them. They seemed very "thin" for lack of a better word. I thought the B&W 6-series sounded fuller.
    But that's my opinion.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

15. rajiv

rajiv Stunt Coordinator

AS said before, Snell is an all American company based out of Haverhill, MA. Back in 1996 or so, they were bought out by Boston Acoustics and their lead designer is now David Smith formerly the lead at KEF. Their previous lead designer was Kevin Voecks who is now the lead at Revel which is part of Madrigal, which is the parent company of Mark Levinson and Proceed. Kevin made a series of speakers, Snell Type C and D in the $2K & $3K range, that were discontinued by 1999. These speakers were and are legendary because they outperform the B&W Nautilus 803s & 804s. The reason they were discontinued was that the manufacturing cost was too high compared to what they sold for, also with the new lead designer and owners(BA), the company wanted to go with new designs. The bad part about Snell, if you can call it bad, is that they have little or no advertising and limited production. The construction and cabinet work is comparable to very expensive audiophile grade speakers.
    Snell has always had excellent speakers that competed with the best loud speakers in the market. Snell makes the XA series home theater speakers that are expensive for a full set of five speakers, but they are full range and are great for multi-channel music. However, they are relatively inexpensive, in the same class, if you are going for a full set of B&W Nautilus or Revel Perfroma speakers all around.
    If you have a budget of $7000 to $10,000 for a set of five speakers, not including the subwoofer, you should audition the Snell XA series.
    Rajiv...

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ben, you need to get in contact with your friend's dad and tell him about HTF. Or maybe he's already a member just silent. That's one nice set up.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

17. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I have a pair of Snell SUB-550's. They are THX certified each with a 12" driver and a ported enclosure. They are some of the best passive low frequency speakers I have ever heard...I have owned them for quite some time. See link above for a pic of my system.
    Randy

18. Ben Reierson

Ben Reierson Extra

I told my friends dad who owns the Snell system that he should get on the forum, I don't know if he will or not, but I think he could benefit from it.
    And I think I was wrong about the model of Snell speakers he has. I have looked at the pics again and they don't look like the E.5mk2s, not to mention those seemed kind of inexpensive for the rest of his stuff.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has the Snell C or D speakers, I will have to ask him next time I have a chance.
    The other thing is that Pionneer Elite tv is not yet ISF calibrated and it drives me crazy, he needs someone to convince him it's actually worth it. Apparently some punk 21 year old kid isn't enough for him [​IMG]
    I guess someone told him it will void his warranty, but that can't possibly be right.
    [Edited last by Ben Reierson on August 10, 2001 at 03:35 PM]

19. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

If anyone has the time take a look at this page on their website about placement in cabinets and the "placement switch".
    http://www.snellacoustics.com/k5.htm
    Do you think this works?
    Jake T