Has anyone heard of Fried speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Four, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Ed Four

Ed Four Auditioning

About 7 years ago I bought a pair of Fried(brand name, not fried as in ruined) A5 speakers from an audio store. Since then, I haven't heard anything about them and cannot find them on the Internet. I believe the mfr was based out of PA. If anyone knows any info I would appreciate it. I want to get the specs on them. I'd also be interested if anyone has listened to them, what they thought.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Yes. Go to www.audioasylum.com and you'll see a fair amount fo discussion on the Fried A/6, since someone was selling them on Audiogon for $300/pr recently (I believe they list for over $1K). AFAIK, Fried speakers were known for the series crossover that they used. I don't know much about this stuff, but I know my current speakers also use a series crossover, and I think they sound great [​IMG]
    Check Audio Asylum, you shound find plenty of discussions in the Speaker forum.

3. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

I believe Fried has been out of business for several years now. I own a pair of Fried Betas purchased about 12 years ago and have also owned several other speakers in the $400/pair price range including Norh, Mission, and Signet. Overall, I perfer the Frieds over all of these more recent products.
    While I only briefly auditioned the A5 model you own several years ago I thought they were very competitive with other speakers in their price range. Also, for whatever its worth, Frieds generally received high ratings from the audio press.

Bob

4. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

Bud Fried is out of the business (retired). The current owner of his former company is now Shayne Tennace, who posts under the user name of shaynet at audioasylum.com -- look specifically at the speaker asylum. He is putting up a website and is in general very helpful. He is in the process of introducing a new line of speakers. I bought a pair of the Fried A/6 from him. They sound good for the $$$ spent.