What's new

Has anyone heard of a driver cracking... (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
I have a friend that I convinced to get a Dayton DVC 12 and they just told me that the cone area of the driver has three cracks in it or something to that effect. I will be going over there this Sunday (02/09/2003) but would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this happening and what causes it.

Thanks

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Never seen a cone crack. I have seen spiders destroyed a voice coils aflame, but never a cracked cone. I guess if it were hammered hard enough by a large amplifier it could be possible.

I have seen bends and wrinkles in paper cones that were caused by some pushing on them....If the cone was rigid enough then there is a good possibility that it could crack. Could it have been the cause of shipping?

As for voice coils....I have an old (30years) set of cerwin vega 15s (out of comission). They were stored in a damp place and the foam rotted so my brother (we were young) reparied them with silicone....needless to say about 4 months afterward they were being played really loud...well....have you ever seen a voice coil stop moving in the magnet it got so fried?...my dad mangled on of the frames apart cause they were in his garage and he needed a magnet (:frowning: *snnnifff), I think the voice coils are still inside the magnet structure....

I've also seen a voil coil go from orange to black...that was a really bad smell...

Jeremy

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Voice coils fry good! Especially on Subs and Woofers in
General... You can get the T-Yoke so hot you can use it to
cook marshmallow's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks