Has anyone had warranty issues with accesories for less?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Aaron_Morris, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

I am just curious if anyone has dealt with them for warranty issues. I purchased an SR5200 last august and it didn't work. So I contacted them, and they were nice enough about it. They said that they would have UPS come pick it up and ship it to service wide tech. UPS either never came, or I missed them, so I took it to UPs and paid to have it shipped. (AC4L said they would pay shipping for any warranty work) Well, I got it back after some delay dealing with no name attached to it and it still didn't work correctly. The left main didn't work. Everything else worked fine. I called them and told them about it, and explained that I had been without a reciever for so long that I would just run the front channels through my kenwood reciever and not worry about getting it worked on for a few weeks. Well, I put it off until now.
    When I called them they told me to contact Marantz, so I did. They told me to take it to an approved local shop. They told me that they haven't doen marantz service for several years. So I called AC4L back, they again told me to get a hold of Marantz. Marantz sent me to talk to Service Wide tech, and they in turn told me to ship it to them.
    I called AC4L back and they said that it is my responsiblity to ship it now. Do I have a legitimate gripe that they should pay shipping since it was a part of the original deal and it has never actually worked properly? BTW, it is noted in their customer log that the unit didn't work when I got it back the first time.
    Sorry for the long post, I am just not happy with paying shipping for a defective unit twice, when I was told I didn't have to pay it at all up front.

2. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

hi, I had some problems with my 6200 for AC4L too. I had to pay 32 buck to send it to service wide tech. I sent it last week and i'm waiting to see of they fix it, BTW mine never worked correctly either. And they also sent me a defective, returned unit too. I'll never get anything from ac4l ever.[​IMG]

3. gregD

gregD Second Unit

You get what you pay for.

I had a similar situation with a Marantz receiver from AC4L, and I think they were as helpful as they could have been... in my case, the difference was that my problem developed after the fact (just before the warranty was up), and splitting shipping costs to ServiceWide in Chicago seemed reasonable... in your case, if it was defective out of the box, AC4L should pay to ship.

If I could complain about anything, it was the directive to take the receiver to an 'approved local shop' before sending to SW... Marantz, like many other mfr's, grant 'authorized service' certification to THE CRAPPIEST little neighborhood repair shops... always resist this suggestion, from any mfr, unless they can guarantee there is a proper dedicated repair facility.

I wouldn't discourage buying from AC4L, but at those prices, it's not reasonable to expect a foolproof experience... it is never possible to determine the nature of refurbishing on any given piece of gear... might be an upgrade to a perfectly fine unit, or might be a repair to a badly flawed one... Marantz has been known to suffer production problems in the past few years.

But again, if yours was bad outa the box, AC4L should make it right, and promptly.

4. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

I thought A4L still had a 30 day defective return - exchange - repair option on defective items.

If I had gotten a unit not working out of the box I would have returned it for exchange or refund. May have paid return shipping . . . Did I know my options up front ? After all I am buying a refurb unit and saving some bucks.
    BTW refurb 300xDVD and 5ch amp have both worked flawlesly for me, speakers were new in box.

Warranty options taken from the A4L web site:
    Shipping is paid by who ? It is not stated, so buyers assume . . . Yes it's a bit deceptive, SO.
    Buyer beware - I have found when buying electronics online you had beter find out exactly what your return - repair options are and how they will be handled - shipping - limitations - who arranges repairs - vendor - mfr - etc.
    A free 1-800-CALL to A4L or an e-mail with a few questions would have been answered.

Specific to SR5200
    Return Methods Return Warranty Period: 30 Days
    Return Warranty Types:
    Return for Credit
    Return for Refund
    Return for Repair / Replacement

5. Aaron_Morris

When I talked to them on the phone about ordering it, the guy told me about the 30 day full refund exchange policy. Also said that if there was something wrong I could have it fixed and they would pay shipping. That was for anything that was wrong with it out of the box. It also carries a 1 year warrany for parts.
    I was just annoyed that I ended up having to pay to get it shipped the first time, and didn't want to pay shipping again since it wasn't fixed properly.

It hasn't come back yet, but I will let everyone know if it works. Man, I hope it does. Other than that, everything else about dealing with them has been wonderful. I'd still reccomend them, as there hasn't been too much of a hassle and no one was rude. And come on, it is a heck of a deal.

6. Aaron_Morris

Well, it just came in. I am in the process of connecting all the components back to it. Wish me luck...[​IMG]

EDIT: Got everything reconnected and it sounds wonderful. Hooray for me.

[​IMG]