Has anyone had any time the RCA STS-1230's at Radioshack?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

RCA® 3-Way Floor-Standing Speaker (Each) sts-1230
    $79.99
    $129.99 Reg. Price
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=40%2D5017
    It has:
    100 watts RMS, 200 watts total
    12 inch woofer with a 13.3 oz. magnet
    4 inch "ferrofluid cooled" midrange
    1 inch "" tweeter
    50-20,000khz freq. response
    90db sensitivity.
    I know the best way is to take them home and try them, but i was just wondering if anyone has tried them or knows anything about them.

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Yes I tried them out.Right before I bought my system I went and bought a pair.I hooked them up to my TV just to see how this would work.So actually I never did give them a reall try.I brought them back the next day.4 1/2 months latter I'm thinking of giving them another try or something in the same price category.I bought the Ken.504 and would like to upgrade the speakers.I upgraded the sub to the Vel ct-150 already.I was actually thinking of much more costly and better speakers like maybe even the divas or the level three towers on CHT.com. but the upgrade bug is getting more controlled now.I'm 100% HT so I feall it would be a waist for me to go this far.The level three center most likely next week and then the mains.Speakers for me has been the hardest to figure out.Good luck

3. BenG

BenG Agent

I've listened to these extensively.
    For the price, they're about as good as you'll get. The bass is more than acceptable for a speaker in this price range, and the overall sound quality is clean. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for some cheap, decent speakers for music.
    Now, if you already have a decent sub, I'd recommend picking up the Pro-LX550 bookshelves instead: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=40%2D5037
    These speakers are phenomenal for $75 each. The ribbon dipole tweeter has a different sound and takes a little while to get used to, but I would bet that you will *never* go back to a standard monopole speaker after getting used to the spacious sound offered by the Linaeum tweeter. Again, a sub is required with these for low bass however.

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

big thanks for the replies, its quite annoying audioreview.com doesn't take the time to list them.
    i'm starting to set a limit for $$$ spent on HT because there is other stuff i need to buy too.
    right now I own those Linaneum tweeter "bookshelves" as my mains. I love them for home theater but for 2-ch. stereo music they don't have enough bass. I have the Aiwa-TSW150 as a subwoofer and it puts on a great combo with the RCA's linaneums for ht. I also have the jbl-scenter which is another reason why i would look at the floorstanders, because the s-center is b-i-g, as it isn't matched perfectly with the rca's during a select few dvd scenes. For music, the little rca's have great highs and dispersion, but not enough bass. I'll be picking these two speakers up tomorrow, so i'll post 1st impressons. I can't wait to try out the 360 dipole surrond affects as i move the little rca's to the back. [​IMG]

5. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

oh yeah, i forgot about the ^%&$ stands for the rears, i'll buy those later, i'll be broke anyways.[​IMG]
    I know some wall-mounts are cheaper, but are they a hassle to install?