Has anyone gotten their Onkyo Receiver Remote to learn

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I got the Onkyo SR600, and so far it seems like a good receiver, but even after reading through the manual, I can't get the receiver remote to work. I can program in the codes for my Sony DVD, etc., and for the most part they worked. But then, when I try and program a new button, or even erase the memory, it doesn't do the "blinks" like it says it should in the instructions.

I will love this receiver, I think, if I can get this remote to work.

2. Steve Cross

Steve Cross Agent

mine works like a charm[​IMG]
    maybe explaining step by step what your doing will help us,
    but you'll probably get half way through the explanation and relize what you might not/be doing wrong [​IMG]

3. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Here's a summary of what I've done.

The instructions say to hold down the mode button (DVD) and press ENTER. It says the light will go on while holding the MODE button, and go off when I press ENTER. That is true. Then, I point the remotes together, press SUBTITLES button on the Onkyo Remote and let go, then hold down SUBTITLES on the Sony remote - nothing. I try it with a different remote - nothing. The instructions say it's supposed to blink twice or somethign. But, no blinking lights, nothing. So that's it. After that there's no difference.

4. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

...anyone know? [​IMG]
    I would really like to get it working, so should I call Onkyo or something. If anyone has done it before, I'd really like to know what you did to see what I did differently.

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

6. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

try this.. hold the mode button and then press enter.. then release both.. then press and release the button to be learned.. hold the two remotes together, fire up the botton on the other remote.. wait for the light to blink and then move on to the nest button.. works great for me!

jim

7. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Lanny,

Just making sure...when going into the learning mode, the MODE button refers to the 'device' buttons being programmed (DVD, VCR, etc). Don't make the mistake I made and use the actual MODE button, which is used for programming Macros.

8. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Ok, yeah, it sounds like I'm doing it pretty much that way, but the only difference is that my lights never blink when I'm holding down the button on the other remote. Maybe I need to call Onkyo or something - though I don't know how their support is.

9. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm reaching my wits end with this remote.
    I have tried it and tried it, and it just seems like I must be doing something wrong. There is simply no affect from the things I try....
    ----------------------------
    Nevermind! I was in the middle of writing my rant when I finally figured it out! Hurray! And I was at my wits end! The answer was: There's 2 ENTER buttons. The manual said hold the MODE button and the ENTER button, so that's what I did. But I pressed the circle ENTER button right in the center, as seen here:
    [​IMG]
    But if you notice, there's a tiny little enter button in the lower right corner of the remote that I didn't see. The people writing the manual didn't really make it obvious since ENTER is written on the remote in two places.
    Problem solved.
    Thank you guys for responding and helping.

10. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

I don't even use my Onkyo SR600 remote. I was going to switch from my current universal/learning remote, but after doing some tests, I found the Onkyo remote to be weaker. It has to be pointed in the general direction for it to work.
    I currently use a Home Theater Master SL-9000. I programmed this remote with the Onkyo codes, and now I can point my remote to the ceiling and still control the SR600, which I can't do with the Onkyo remote. I can even point my remote 90 degrees to the left, and still control it. So now with one macro it turns my whole setup on, and the other turns it all off. One touch of a mode button changes the Onkyo video mode, and sets my remote into that mode too.
    I bought this remote for $75 in Feb. 2001. The same site has it now for $80. Very powerfull remote, and every single button can be programmed, except for the light button.

11. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Alright, i'm having issues w/ my remote too, and I figured i didn't need to start a new thread...
    I've programmed my tv (and cable box) into the "tv" slot, w/ no problems (button by button), but my problem is this: The volume buttons don't work on my receiver anymore... In the manual it says that the volume buttons should still work, but they don't!?!?! [​IMG]
    I had previously programmed the tv using the pre-programmed codes, and it make the VOL buttons work the tv volume (which i'm not using... using audio from cable box -> receiver)...
    Is there anyway to make the vol buttons work my receiver in the tv mode? (I don't know anyone nearby w/ the remote, or i'd just "learn" from them)...

12. Tom.le

Tom.le Agent

Home Theater Master SL-9000
    [​IMG]