What's new

Has anyone found any new releases at Borders recently? (1 Viewer)

William Miller

Second Unit
The Borders store that I go to every Tuesday has not had any new releases in the past month. Borders has been so good in getting almost every title in on street date. And if they are not on the shelves yet on Tuesday morning, they usually have a cart with that week's new releases on them so you can just quickly pick what you want before they shelve them.

They are also having a month long "Buy 4 DVD's and Get 1 Free sale."

I wonder if this is just a January inventory reduction plan or if something more sinister is going on there?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my Borders had the Fox titles that street 1/6 in today, but they never got the Warners.

frustrating, as i have a gift card for $60 that was going to get some heavy use.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Haven't been able to find the Fox HKL releases anywhere....
I did score their only copy of Cure today. :emoji_thumbsup:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I noticed at the Borders near me that they had the new releases, but that they held them behind the counter - you had to buy them there, as opposed to browsing through the rest of the DVDs.

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure this varies from store to store, but the Borders near me rarely carries new releases on street date. For me, they are OK for catalog titles (with coupons frequently found in "coupons and bargains"), but I tend to look elsewhere for street date releases. Ah well...there are lots of ponds to fish in.

Just my $0.02 worth...

-Ross

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Went to two Borders yesterday looking for Ikiru, Cure, and My Darling Clementine (all 1/6 releases). Both had Ikiru and Cure, only one had My Darling Clementine.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
For awhile my local Borders was my B&M of choice for DVDs. They had instituted an aggressive pricing policy which made it very competitive with the Best Buy that was next door. They also offered a great selection of deep catalog titles.

However they've abandoned that strategy and gone back to MSRP pricing (or close to it) and chosen to highlight their huge Alpha selection.

Regarding the current promotion (buy 4 get 1 free); it sounds better than what it really is. You have to make sure that the savings isn't eaten up by the fact their DVDs are several dollars higher apiece than another store.

Given that they're not replenishing their stock as the sale goes on, I almost wonder if there isn't something to Mr. Miller's last sentence in his initial post.

Steve

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
what i've seen is
Paramounts are now shelving at full msrp.
Fox and Warner 19.95 msrp titles are still being stickered at $14.95.

if you get 5 14.95 titles for the price of four, you'll still be saving money, even with sales tax over DDD.
if you wait until CH offers the titles, you'll save even more, but it will take a couple months.
Bornders is not a good place to pick up Criterions, although they usually have a good selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks