Has anyone flown in a glider?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Nov 22, 2005.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

There used to be gliderport in my town when I was a kid and my dad had a license to fly them, so he used to bring me up in them. I thought it was was so much fun, though the only part I didn't like was when the glider was released from the towplane because it made a loud pop.

One cool thing about the gliderport, was that it was used in the original Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Yeah, I used to fly gliders when I was in Air Cadets. nothing beats the experience.

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

It wasn't supposed to be a glider but once the engine died we found out just how much glide ratio she had.

Long story short, everyone walked away ok except the plane.

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I guess the question is:

"Has anyone intentionally flown in a glider that was already a glider when it took off?"

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I have, just once, as a camera-toting tourist. We got up to 14,000 feet (this was in Aspen, CO, to begin with), and the sky at the zenith was black.

Pretty cool, and a lot louder than I expected.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

No, I'm too big.

If you've an interest in soaring, look around for soaring clubs near you. It's very cheap flying and there's no reason not to get involved in it if you're so inclined.

I was going to instruct in sailplanes after adding the category rating onto my airplane instructor's certificate, but at 6'3 and 250+ pounds most of the gliders won't accomodate me.

Most of the clubs you pay a membership fee, monthly dues, and then pay for the tow to get aloft, the glider is either free or just a few dollars an hour. Some clubs have a winch which can cut the cost even further.

A couple local examples.
    www.soarbfss.org
    http://www.highflights.com/

7. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Philip_G: Thanks for the links.

Someday if I have kids, I'd like to go up with them in one. I have such good memories of going up with my dad, so I'd like to keep the tradition going if I do have kids.