Has anyone experienced this with a Widescreen Title?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I have a decent collection of DVD's but not the largest. Even so, I am an advocate of Widescreen yet have never experienced this phenomenon before?

The package says it is Widescreen and 16x9 enhanced. When I play it in my regular DVD player it is full frame (or seems that way). When I play it on my computer's DVD, the menus are full frame but the movie switches to Widescreen without top and bottom bars.

What gives?

The title is: Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner) (2-disc Canadian Version)

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    What do you have your DVD player set to? Make sure it is set for 4x3-Letterbox and NOT 4x3-Pan & Scan if you have a 4x3 TV set.

DJ

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Sounds like it's an anamorphic widescreen DVD and you simply need to fix your player settings as Damin suggests.

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Damin,

With the 300+ Widescreen DVD's I have, none have given me this kind of ratio problem other than this title. That is why I am a bit puzzled and doubt it is my player setting (since it plays others widescreens fine).

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    DJ,

Maybe what adds to my perplexity is that the computer's DVD plays it without the normal top and bottom black bars. This is also unusual as it has always played anamorphic widescreens with the bars. Is this also a part of the same authoring flaw?

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

Lemme guess, when you view 1.78:1 - 1.85:1 movies on your computer, they fill a rectangular window? And when you view 2.35:1 movies on the computer, the rectangular window has black bars above and below the picture?

Since your TV is square, the pan&scan flagging might manifest itself differently than on the computer.

Please don't feel like I'm condescending, if you have already ruled out your DVD player's aspect ratio settings, then I am mistaken. But I remember the first time I switched from DVD-ROM to a settop DVD player and was confused by the stretched-out super tall and thin people on my movies that played so well on my PC.

Hope that helps,

CS

9. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Actually, the changing of my DVD player's screen ratio worked. I am still confused as to why I had to manually change it for this one title only... and acts differently on my computer's DVD-ROM?

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Steven,

It is your DVD player settings (or lack of).

I had the exact same issue with "Ginger Snaps" which I ordered from Canada for the specific reason that the Canadian edition was 16x9 WS and the US version was pan-and-scan.

Upon receiving the disc, I popped it in and was dismayed to discover a full-screen playback. Not only full-screen, but the main titles were actually cut off at the sides.

Upon doing some research here in HTF, I found that the Canadian disc was automatically flagged for a "center zoom" unless the player was specifically set otherwise. My older Panny player does not seem to have the necessary options to correct this. However, upon checking the settings of my cheap, multi-region Daewoo, widescreen playback was successfully achieved. [​IMG]

Like you, I had tons of widescreen discs and had never experienced this before so I thought I had a bad disc. But after taking the advice of fellow HTF members, I found it was my player settings after all.

I think it's just the way some Canadian discs are manufactured. They're flagging them for automatic zoom, probably to satisfy the Canadian Joe 6-Packs who want their screens filled, while those who want WS will adjust their players accordingly. Not a bad solution to the whole WS/pan-and-scan tug of war, but not one that US manufacturers seem to want to use.

11. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

You should always have the player set to 4x3 Letterbox mode unless you want any widescreen movie that has a P&S on-the-fly flag to be viewed as P&S (which is the only purpose of the 4x3 P&S mode of a DVD player).

And the reason it only occured with this disc is because it is probably the only widescreen title in your collection with the P&S flag set. Most discs don't encode that flag. Without the flag set, 4x3 Letterbox and 4x3 P&S modes work identically.

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Doug:Li

Doug:Li Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem with brotherhood of the wolf canadian 3 disc dvd. Even after I went into my dvd player menu and changed the flag it still wouldn't show in WIDESCREEN. I cant figure out what it needs.
    any ideas?