What's new

Has anyone ever worked at Guantanamo Bay? (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
About 18 months ago, I harnessed the power of the AHL to ask about working in Kuwait. I had a great response, so I decided to try it again.

I got a job offer to work at Guantanamo Bay for SAIC, presumably for the Navy. I assume that it will have nothing to do with Camp X-Ray.

It seems [key word here] that it would be a lot more fun than Kuwait, and they talked about the great scuba diving there. They did mention that you need a bicycle or car to get around, which is hard for me to visualize.

The downside is that the pay is very low, given that a secret clearance is required and it is a hardship 1-year tour [no spouse - which is not an issue for me.] Part of the reason the pay is so much lower is that I would be going from a System Admin position to a Field Tech position - whatever that is exactly. Sounds like glorified desktop support.

Part of me wants to get out of Kuwait and the Middle East, possibly have more fun and adventure in a new area of the world, and get my foot in the door with a big contractor. However, the pay difference is quite large and I am already settled in Kuwait.

Does anyone have any experiences about being in Guantanamo that they could share?

Thanks in advance.

Jason L.

Second Unit
About 18 months ago, I harnessed the power of the AHL to ask about working in Kuwait. I had a great response, so I decided to try it again.

I got a job offer to work at Guantanamo Bay for SAIC, presumably for the Navy. I assume that it will have nothing to do with Camp X-Ray.

It seems [key word here] that it would be a lot more fun than Kuwait, and they talked about the great scuba diving there. They did mention that you need a bicycle or car to get around, which is hard for me to visualize.

The downside is that the pay is very low, given that a secret clearance is required and it is a hardship 1-year tour [no spouse - which is not an issue for me.] Part of the reason the pay is so much lower is that I would be going from a System Admin position to a Field Tech position - whatever that is exactly. Sounds like glorified desktop support.

Part of me wants to get out of Kuwait and the Middle East, possibly have more fun and adventure in a new area of the world, and get my foot in the door with a big contractor. However, the pay difference is quite large and I am already settled in Kuwait.

Does anyone have any experiences about being in Guantanamo that they could share?

Thanks in advance.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Can't help you much on Guantanamo Bay but AHL = After Hours Lounge.

Sounds like you'll have to decide whether you want to take a pay cut, a lesser position (at least on paper) for a new place and different world. Do you think that would make you happy? Because if you take a pay cut, spend a year away from everybody and then find you hate Scuba Diving, then that will not be good for you. Did you find time in Kuwait to do things that you enjoy or did you think it was too dangerous, too high profile, etc? If that was keeping you from exploring the land, or enjoying yourself, then perhaps G-bay is a good move. It is certainly a different place, being on the ocean.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Can't help you much on Guantanamo Bay but AHL = After Hours Lounge.

Sounds like you'll have to decide whether you want to take a pay cut, a lesser position (at least on paper) for a new place and different world. Do you think that would make you happy? Because if you take a pay cut, spend a year away from everybody and then find you hate Scuba Diving, then that will not be good for you. Did you find time in Kuwait to do things that you enjoy or did you think it was too dangerous, too high profile, etc? If that was keeping you from exploring the land, or enjoying yourself, then perhaps G-bay is a good move. It is certainly a different place, being on the ocean.

Jay

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I have never bee there but my wife is Cuban. If you like to dive I hear it's really great. The women to me are better looking and the food is awesome. It's closer to the states so if you wanted to fly back it would probably be easier.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I have never bee there but my wife is Cuban. If you like to dive I hear it's really great. The women to me are better looking and the food is awesome. It's closer to the states so if you wanted to fly back it would probably be easier.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I was stationed there from 1987 to 1989. It was okay. Hot as hell, large mosquitoes, not a whole lot to do. If you are into fishing, it is the place to be. I don't recall too many people scuba diving but it may be big over there. I'm sure it has changed a lot since I was there.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I was stationed there from 1987 to 1989. It was okay. Hot as hell, large mosquitoes, not a whole lot to do. If you are into fishing, it is the place to be. I don't recall too many people scuba diving but it may be big over there. I'm sure it has changed a lot since I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread