What's new

Has anyone ever used a personal trainer? (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
Personally, I hate working out. I need someone [and the thought of wasting money] to motivate me, as well as give me some good advice.

I wanted to get some feedback from the HTF from anyone who has used the services of a personal trainer.

Did they help you get in shape faster?
Did they motivate you?
How much did it cost?
Do you have to sign up for a certain amount of time?
Was it a good value?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Do you know anyone that goes to the gym regularly? Sometimes a workout buddy is all you need for motivation. Today, I definitely wouldn't have gone to the gym if my friend didn't call.

For new members at Bally's though, they give you a free session with a personal trainer. It does help for motivation, in both getting your butt to the gym and getting an extra rep or two in your sets.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
You're achieving better results over a shorter amount of time, which you likely don't have lots of. You're doing things right and progressing at a regimented pace so chances of injury are less. That coupled with it being about your health makes it an exceptionally good value. More of a long term investment actually.

When you really realize the benefit of a personal trainer is when you stop using them and fall back into your old routines. Like anything you'll need to do your homework and find one who is properly credentialled and will develop personal programs for you instead of some cookie cutter set of exercises.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Depends on the personal trainer. Usually they are good for the inexperienced to get them started but not as long term solutions unless you're loaded with money. For motivational problems a workout partner is much better option. You both need to be the others concious, otherwise it doesn't help. Getting an experienced workout partner is killing two birds with one shot but you never know what you're getting, just like with personal trainers.

Are you still in Afghanistan or back in Dallas? If you're in the military finding a workout partner shouldn't be too hard.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
I've been lifting for 2 years now. Last month, I volunteered as a guinea pig for the local college's fitness diploma program. I gave my student my workout regime for the past two years (Excel, baby) and told him my goals - get bigger. FWIW, 6'5" 262lbs, going for 290lbs Autumn 2006.

He loves training and pushing me. Most volunteers are looking to lose weight but I'm not. He can try out all sorts of stuff with me, push me to the edge, spot me, critique my form, offer variations, etc, etc. Best part is that it's free and since he's in second year, he actually knows a thing or two. Definitely worth my time. The amount of information I've gotten from him will stay with me for a lifetime. And this is coming from somebody who thought that they knew it all. Obviously, I didn't.

Today, I/we did legs. He had to help me walk to the change room. Good times. :emoji_thumbsup:

I highly recommend spending the money on a personal trainer. A lifetime investment that doens't cost that much, when all things are considered. Check out the local college...you never know.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
hot damn that's huge. At only 5'7", I'd be ecstatic to hit 160 lbs. :] Good job!

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
That's easy, if weight is your only concern, not lean weight. With right diet and hard work, gaining (mostly) lean weight shouldn't be too much either. But good diet and hard work is easier said than done for most of us unfortunately. :)

5'10", 185lbs, 11-12% BF. Trying to go to 8% BF without losing any weight. I don't have any problems gaining weight but this leaning out while gaining muscle is going to be tough and it will take time. Patience is important, as long as you don't expect too much too fast then you will keep the motivation.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I actually used to weigh 165lbs of fatty fat back in high school, but in college I lost 35lbs and became a stick. After working out steadily since June I topped out at 147 and was proud of that, but I know there's much more room for improvement. :D Currently at 142 working my way up.

How do you measure body fat btw, one of those digital scales?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
A trainer is as good as the trainer. He is an excellent and recommended guide at least for the beginning.
Most of it is still mental and diet.
A trainer will help you not get hurt and stay motivated $$$.
Proper form and encouragement are part of the package. Pick your trainer carefully.

12% (currently 17%) body fat is my goal, but I don't care to change my diet. It think that % is healthy. Below that and I have always looked unhealthy. I just maxed out at 300 on the bench (one of my goals) and am now focusing on Cardio and higher reps, b/c I don't want to look like a meathead ;).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Greetings, Jason. I was a part time personal trainer for about 13 years until New York Sports Club bought the gym out that I worked for. With a half-hour's notice, they came in with their own staff, hung up their banners, kicked everyone who worked there off the floor and out from behind the desk and introduced us to someone from 'human resources' from Philly who was suppossed to help us with the "transition". Was a horrible experience. I worked for them for one day and then quit and haven't jumped back into the field. Sorry for the lengthy rant, guess I'm still pissed. From my experience trainers can be amazing or terrible. It all depends. Someone can have all the knowledge in the world yet be a crappy teacher. I would ask around at a gym as to their opinions and maybe even observe some in action. Bottom line, it is ALWAYS a good thing to have a workout partner to motivate, assist and or guide you.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions!

:) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks