What's new

has anyone ever used a landscape design service? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Once I move I'll need to do my backyard, it's not big, and I don't want anything fancy, but neither of us is really good at coming up with ideas, or executing them either but that's another thread.

So I was wondering if anyone has used some sort of landscape designer, what it cost, how it worked out etc....

Alex-C

Screenwriter
You may want to check out any local decent nursery because sometimes they employ landscape designers who will design your yard and give you a discount if you buy the plants from the nursery.

We did this once and basically got a fresh out of school L.A. to design our yard for free (we didnt end up using his design but we did utilize some elements of his ideas).

A L.A. isn't going to be cheap.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
thanks!

The yard isn't large, it's about oh, 50' wide and about 20-23' back from the house. So it's probably going to be some edging, some grass, and some rocks... but I'd like to be at least a LITTLE more creative than that.

I also want to fence off half of it and let the grass mature for a year before turning the dogs loose on it, then do the other half next year in the hope that it might hold up a little better, maybe it won't I really don't know.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Most Landscapers (not necessarily landscape designers who went to college, and charge more, nor the strictly lawn cutting landscapers) can come up with competant designs which should fit your yard. Just ask for some examples of work whether it be photos or addresses for you to check it out first hand.

J

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
We also used a local nursery landscape designer when we moved into our new house. He drew up a plan based on our input. We ended buying the tree's from him and then later I did the beds with flowers/shrubs. The plan was free if we purchased some stuff from the nursery, they had very good stuff especially the tree's but I couldnt justify the price for shrubs compared to Walmart/Lowes. So we bought small shrubs and big trees and the shrubs are already about double in size after one year.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm also in the same boat. will be moving into my new home in about a month.

does your local college offer extension classes? that's what my wife did. the guy teaching the class (http://www.michaelglassman.com) is (i guess) pretty well known. so even though she had to pay for the class (which wasn't that expensive anyway) she got some nice advice. the guy will even do a one-on-one consultation with you if you bring your plot layout. of course, it's not the full blown consultation, but better then nothing.

also, if you get hgtv, check out the show called "landscapers challenge" (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_lsc) -- it's a good way to see how the pros think and see the kind of ideas they pitch to clients. of course, some of those budgets are out of this world...but the ideas are free.

there's also some pretty good software out there now. some let you layout your plot, add whatever kind of hard/softscapes you want, then model the entire thing in 3d. you can even do "flyovers" at various elevations. pretty cool. something like this (which i saw on ask this old house): http://www.punchsoftware.com/products/MasterPro.htm

maybe we should start an official home improvement thread. i know there's been a lot of posts about stuff like this recently (closet organizers, decking, landscaping, etc...) -- that'd be cool!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sorry to get your hopes up there at the start, Philip. :)
I like this idea. I've got a half acre and need a lawn and landscaping. This doesn't interest me much, so someone else telling me what to would be good.

The one thing out of the ordinary that I might do, is plant blackberry or raspberry bushes along the back property line. Tasty fruit in the summer and maybe block out the road some more.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
raspberry bushes are nice and low maintenance. Used to have some growing up as a kid, my dog used to eat the berries though :)
In fact, a vine like that is a heck of a good idea for me too. The back of my house has a split rail fence, I could nail/staple up some chicken wire, plant some vines and in a few years have a nice privacy fence for almost no work :emoji_thumbsup:

I'd like a pond too, but with a small yard and two water dogs I don't think it's in the cards for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks