Has anyone ever tried Stand Up Comedy or has wanted to?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay E, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This past Sunday, I went up on stage for the first time ever to do stand-up comedy. It was the so called "graduation" to a stand-up comedy class that I took and it was held at one of the top clubs in the city. There was an almost sold out crowd of about 120 people in the room, all of whom were friends & relatives of the 10 class performers. I don't think I was ever as nervous in my entire life, my leg was shaking like crazy as I waited for the teacher to annouce my name. I had a couple of drinks beforehand which helped take the edge off, but I was still a ball of nerves.

Anyway, my perforamnce turned out fine, the first laugh does help put you at ease. It was a very supportive crowd so I got some nice laughs. I feel a real sense of accomplishment as I've faced, for me, the scariest thing I think I could ever try.

I was wondering if there is anyone on the forum who has tried this or is thinking of trying this. I would like to hear your experiences. Thanks.

2. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Hey Jay

I never took a class but My friends have always told me that I should give it a try.

well I did. When I was on vacation in LA a year back I had tickets to go see a taping of King Of Queens. I was talking to the Warm up Comic.( Hes the Guy who keeps the Crowd entertained between takes.)about all sorts of things Monte python and so forth. He was most impressed when I did the whole intro of the cheese shop. During a break in the taping he allowed me to go up infront of the whole Studio Audience and do my schtick. I was up there for 10-15 minutes just going nuts with everthing in my impressions arsonal from "ScarFace" sings Christmas Carols, "JIM" fom Taxi to my favorite and the crowds "YODA" having sex(a must hear to appreciate)

After my time the Warm up guy took me aside and asked me if I had ever done stand up before? after I told him that it was my first time he said that I should look into doing this alot more. I have done a few shows here and there but I want to do more.

The funny thing is that I wasnt even Nervous, even in front of 450 people.

Good luck and keep the laughs coming

3. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

It's funny that I noticed this thread today. I was just thinking about this very thing. This is something that's always been in the back of my head. Making folks laugh is extremely satisfying to me. Unfortunately, I've got this little problem called social anxiety disorder. Maybe I could make some material out of that?

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

5. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Wiil, I was thinking about this very subject today!
    I totally SUCK at telling jokes, and I have a terrible time speaking on front of an audience, but I'm decent at making people laugh, if I'm in the right mood. In other words, I have NONE of what it takes to be a stand up comic. [​IMG]
    But I still have wanted to see if I could do it. I could never just go up on stage right away, but a class with a graduation thing sounds like fun.
    Jay, how did you find that class? I'd like to hear more about it.
    /Mike

7. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Hey guys, good to know that there are other members of the Stand-up club around here. Though I am an engineer, I've been doing standup on and off for about 5 years. I started in college doing the Friday night "campus club" thing and have graduated to even doing it professionally now and again. The highlights of my comedic life are opening for Norm McDonald and Steven Wright when they both came to Syracuse University.

I gotta say, doing standup never gets old and is a rush every single time you perform. The worst problem I had was trying not to get discouraged after a bad outing. After my first 3 or 4 times were great, I ran into a "tough crowd" and almost gave it up for good. My GF at the time convinced me that even the "greats" have bombed numerous times and not to get discouraged. Luckily, I continued doing standup at SU and have started doing clubs around town and even out of town occasionally. I wish I had more time to do it...between work and finishing grad school, it is pretty tough. On the day of an act, I honestly feel like I am going to crap my pants the entire day. I keep immodium AD present at all times (no joke!). But when you get that first good laugh, it is a pure ecstatic rush the rest of the time (and you learn to ignore that wet brown spot in your pants).

I am by no means a professional (by true standards) or even that "great," but for what it is worth, have no regrets and try it. It is a blast, and you will never forgive yourself if you don't. If I could give one piece of advice (other than the obvious stuff), I would say to make sure that you "know your audience." The biggest mistake I ever made when I bombed was doing some material that made the crowd turn. In other words, if the audience is mostly female, keep the "offensive stuff" out and stick to your clean jokes, etc. Good luck, brother! You won't regret it!

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

9. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

I once did what was referred to as "the funniest stand-up routine in the history of the Chemistry Department" at my college alma mater. Our Organic Chemistry II professor would have each of his upperclassmen present a lab procedure in the Intro to Chem class. I was slated to present the "fun" lab dealing with complex titrations. I was so nervous that I wasn't thinking about the qualities of certain metallic elements in a semi-pure state.

Well, to make a long story short: no one was injured by the flying glass; her eyebrow grew back; four students got brand new shirts from me; I didn't require a skin graft; a granite table is luckily relatively inexpensive; the dean of the chemistry department got the new office-door window he had been wanting; in all the confusion and stench no one noticed I had soiled myself; and I was never allowed to work with any compound that contained potassium or lithium for the rest of my college career.

My old professor still shows that video to his new students. He is still of the opinion that he couldn't have filmed a funnier, more cautionary "dangers of" video if he had tried.

10. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I've been told by friends I should try stand up... but, I'm not really a "material" comic... I consider myself most funny in conversational settings.
    Now a talk show host... that I would kick ass at. [​IMG]

12. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Well, Mr. Robertson, as it is with most things me, that link seems to be non-functional. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

14. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Tom,

I've been meaning to checkout some of the local comedy clubs around upstate NY. Do you have any recommendations for the Syracuse, Ithaca, Elmira, Binghampton region? Thanks.

-Dan

15. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I forgot to add one other thing. If anybody is interested in taking a class, a lot of comedy clubs offer classes so you might want to check any clubs that are close to you. I know that in New York, most clubs offer classes.