1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever tried measuring SPL's at their local movie theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Oct 25, 2001.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Has anyone tried this? I'm kind of curious as to what the theaters use as their reference level. Sometimes it gets loud in there and sometimes I can't hear it very well. BTW, what's the standard ref level again, 105dB?

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You will probably never get a definite answer about the levels: it varies with the room, and within the same room, with the movie, and with the same movie in the same room, it varies with the showing! I had to go out and ask them to turn the volume up on Gladiator the second time I watched it: It was definitly much lower than the first time.
    --
    Holadem

3. David Chisholm

David Chisholm Auditioning

I did bring my radio shack SPL meter into my local theater and I measured normal dialog to be on average at 85db's and
    during heavy action scenes I was getting it spiking to 115db's. I was seating in the center about 1/2 way up. The
    readings kind of surprised me because the sound seemed normal to me for a theater, not overly loud.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

While I didn't bring the meter with me (I'll know I'm hopeless at that point [​IMG]), I did close my eyes and try to pay attention to the actual sound level when I went to see Jurassic Park 3 some time ago. Sure enough, it was much louder than I run my system at home (10db under reference), but, like David said, didn't seem all that loud, implying that my system is straining somewhat, while the theater's sytems likely wasn't.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I'm not surprised at those high readings. Theaters always seem too loud for my tastes.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.