Has anyone ever traded in all of their games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Scarpa, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I had'nt played any of my Xbox games for over a month, I had alot of sports games and various others I just looked at them one day and traded them all in for store credit. Guess I got bored with them I only kept High Heat 2004 and I'm thinking I might only be buying Sports games for a bit, perhaps NFL Heat when it comes this week. Anyone go thru this with their consoles, hell I even considered sellng it last week and I'm definately on the fence about renewing Xbox live

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I go through that, but it's best to either wait for May (E3) or Xmas to see what's hot and whether or not you might change your mind. It doesn't cost you a dime to let an old console sit there, and rebuying it later can cost quite a bit, so I would sit tight.

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah I'm keeping the Xbox unlike old console its a pretty decent DVD player, and I will buy more games I was just tired of the ones I had

4. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Lots of people trade in old games they don't use anymore.
    I'm not one of them [​IMG]

As long as you are happy - that is what counts.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've thought about it, but then realized that for the amount of credit you'll usually get for something, it's probably worth just hanging onto the game. I've sold games in the past and regretted it afterwards (mostly back in the NES days), so now I just hang onto everything I buy.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Inevitably, if you sell a console (any console), exactly 6 months later there will be a game that you just HAVE to play for it. I would have already sold my PS2 but there is a certain game with the initials GTA:SC that I know that I will HAVE to play on launch day. Same thing with Xbox, Halo 2 would be to consoles what Pac Man was to arcades if I sold the Xbox.

I will never sell the Xbox though. Have it modded so that it plays movies and music from the PC over a wireless network, absolutely lovely little machine. Nothing like watching The Two Towers on your HDTV 2 weeks before the DVD hits shelves (no flames, I've already preordered the DVD just an impatient LOTR fanatic.)

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey Dave

I adjusted your thread header to be less teaser-esque.

I rarely trade in my games anymore as the amount given typically sucks. It's generally worth more for me to keep a title than to get shanked by a vendor on the buy back. Or I'll go the eBay route instead.

8. James T

James T Screenwriter

I use to trade my games to EB way back. But they don't give enough. If you need money, put it up on Ebay. You won't be disappointed with the results.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I get rid of games I know I'll never play again. Like PSO(Xbox), I CAN'T play it w/o paying, and 1 player is no fun (and I have a dreamcast for that)

10. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Negative on that one...still have a lot of mine even from old NES days and quite honestly find it really fun to pull out the old link or mario brothers and play for a bit...but thats just me!

11. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

NFL Heat?

12. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

I keep everything I've got.

For a funny story, my uncle traded in the majority of his Xbox collection at a Gamestop a few months ago. 20 games, bought at $50 a pop. What did he get for them? A 100 bucks. That's a nice loss of $900.

13. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

I think you have to be smart about what you trade in. Generally speaking, I don't trade in if I get less than $20 canadian for a title. I have the EB edge card and hence a GMR subscription which came with a 20% extra trade-in credit voucher. So, I took advantage of it to unload a number of games that basically were collecting dust. Zelda WW went and I received $45.60 canadian and I still have the OOT discs to console me. I got a very high trade in value as well for NBA Street Vol. 2, and wound up basically out the price of a rental on this title.

Also dumped a pair of titles with a normal trade-in value of $23 but received $54 with EB's soul caliber pre-order deal. Traded in my 3 crappiest dvds for LOTR:TT dvd and even received cash back on an EB card. $11 normal trade-in value for my three dvds and I get LOTR:TT and $4.35 in credit. Don't ask me to explain, EB works in strange and mysterious ways. All prices I'm stating are canadian, by the way.

I think we all go through this kind of stage where nothing seems worth playing. Basically, the titles I now have I could get bupkis for, $10 a pop for quality titles. There's no point in selling off good games when you don't get decent coin for them. I'd rather give them away to friends and family then have a retailer mark them up with outrageous margins. If you want howl at some low trade-in values, how about $6 for NBA2k3. That not low enough, what about $1.50 for madden 2003. Who would sell a game for that little. A EB store clerk told me a guy came in to trade in his madden 2003 for the 2004 version and nearly cried when he was told the trade-in value. The worst part is that EB is asking $37.99 for that used copy of NBA2k3, and $24.99 for that used copy of Madden. That's what you call a rape job.

14. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I trade in about 40% of my games when I am finished with them. The only ones that I keep are triple-A titles (Halo, Splinter Cell, etc.) while I typically ditch the others, provided that the re-sale value is within reason. A friend of mine lets his collection build up and then sells a bunch of games simultaneously, however, I think it's a pretty poor idea. He usually beats a game within two weeks after its release and waits months to sell it. Therefore, the value of such a game quickly decreases and he gets less when he sells it.

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I trade in games sometime, but I have never traded them all in at once.

16. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

17. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I usually end up trading most if not all of the previous years of sports titles in 2 months before the new one hits to retain the value. (recent examples smackdown 4 and nhl 2k3) Also, sometimes I'll want a game but have no money. I'll look at my entire collection, then see what I haven't been playing and why I haven't played that game and make a decision(ususally not easy) weither or not I'll pull the trigger.

18. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Something happened to all my Atari 2600 games I was storing at my parent's house.

My 25-year-old sister told me she hawked'em a couple years ago.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]