Has ANYONE ever successfully popped JiffyPop popcorn?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Farley, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Everytime my wife and I have tried, we've burned it. (and my wife is a mighty good popcorn maker!) I'd be interested in knowing what tricks (what height, shaking rhythm, etc., if any...)
    I'd love to make it good at least once, just for the vibe. (YUMMMM!)[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

its all a scam. nobody has ever successfully popped it!!!!!its just a ploy to get you to buy more, and burn that too[​IMG]
    Mike

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

It works perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!Always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I've never tried to make it but my grandfather invented, well, the "popping" design-so I have to stick up for him.

4. Ben Menix

Ben Menix Stunt Coordinator

Never have any luck with JiffyPop...we stick with ActII microwave popcorn, extra butter or mega butter, something like that.
    Ben Menix
    [email protected]

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I haven't had many problems popping it. Just use low heat on a gas range. However, I find Jiffy Pop is too much work shaking the pan back and forth. Much easier just to toss a bag of Orville in the microwave and come back in 2 minutes and 15 seconds. [​IMG]

6. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I've popped it JiffyPop before...that is, if by 'popped', you mean 'charred the popcorn, lighting the cheap paper bag on fire'...yes, JiffyPop caused a small fire in my microwave. And guess what? There were still those few unpopped kernels in there...stupid popcorn.

And I'm done.

Rob.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Do yourselves a favour, get one of those automatic hot-air popcorn makers... I found one at a garage sale for a measely $8 CAD (what like just under $6 USD?), and it works great and was in perfect condition.

We got some cheapo supermarket-brand popcorn. its not great, but for the price, its way better than anything else. If we spent more and got some better popcorn, i bet it would taste even better. Now i just gotta find the right kind of butter. Does anybody know of any 'popcorn' butter? We're using like normal butter now, and it just doesnt taste as good. I've tried adding salt, it kinda makes it better, but the butter popcorn flavour is still missing. I've tried using garlic-butter, that tasted pretty good.

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

NickSo -- When I air-pop my popcorn, I usually drizzle some of the liquid margarine on it. Then I sprinkle it with some garlic salt, grated parmesan cheese, and maybe a little pepper. When I'm in the mood for a something a little spicier, I put lousiana hot sauce on it too.

Of course, I occasionally buy microwave popcorn for the extra fake butter taste, but I really like airpopped corn the best.

9. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

LAND O LAKES is the best for POPCORN. A couple things that make it Yummy. Sprinkle some of the Cheese from Kraft mac and Cheese, also any of the Dried salad Dressings mixes HVR or Italian Yummy.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Leila: You sprinkle it in AFTER its all popped and in a bowl right?

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Nick: I sure do [​IMG]
    I don't think you're supposed to put anything in the "kernel dispenser" other than kernels. Mine specifically says no oil so I imagine that means nothing else either.

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Nobody in the history of the world has been able to get Jiffypop popcorn to pop completely without burning it or leaving half a container of unpopped corn lying in the bottom of the pan. It is amazing that they have been able to stay in business as long as they have. I believe that they operate with the motto of "Everyone likes a challenge". [​IMG]
    People the world over continue to maniacally pop Jiffypop in the mistaken belief that they and they alone will, one day, attain the "holy grail" of popping an entire container of Jiffypop with out burning it, leaving unpopped kernels, or catching it on fire. Poor deluded fools they be, tilting at windmills; they do not realize that Jiffypop has another motto "Abandon all hope ye who would enter and attempt to pop our corn......and despair!!".

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i have bought 2 jiffy pops innthe last 3 years and both times i was very careful to follow the directions with low heat and always shaking the popper. but i was still able to burn mostly every kernel in the popper and some of the foil.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I want a whirley pop, in the worst way

15. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I always thought you had to have an electric stove in order to make Jiffy Pop, are you guys trying it with a gas stove???!!!

16. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

Man I got a great story about JiffyPop.

Me and some friends of mine were camping out. Well more or less our camp outs are one big drink fest. It was getting late and we were getting hungry for some JiffyPop.
    We figured we could throw it over the grill on top of our fire. Being pretty well buzzed we all forgot about the popcorn. About an hour later my friend Pat ask were is the popcorn? We all look to the fire, and the thing never popped. We were all stumped. Surly one of us could make JiffyPop. Then Pat thought no one shook it up. Not thinking that it has been sitting in the fire for about an hour, He reaches in an grabs the metal handle. He burned the shit out of his hand. We laughed so hard when we saw the the burn makes. We still rag him today about the JiffyPop incident.

17. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

What is wrong with you guys??? You DO NOT shake Jiffy Pop. You carefully and vigorously use a circular motion over the flame(YES a gas flame)Only with diligence, and a constant circle jerking movement will you get the thing to expand to enormous proportions until it looks like it is ready to explode... Then it is ready to put in your mouth and enjoy[​IMG]
    dan

18. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Haven't tried since childhood days,
    but we had luck with it on an electric stove.
    Anyone remember the JiffyPop airbag skit on Saturday Night Live? Hilarious[​IMG]