Has anyone ever ordered a big tv online? What are the chances it'll arrive unharmed?

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Amazon is runnnig a rather good deal on the Samsung HL-S5087W (50" DLP)--$1650, so I ordered one. I knew there was no way CC would match the price, especially considering their price is like $2300. I'm just hoping it shows up without being heavily molested by whatever shipping agent Amazon uses for items that big.

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
Although I never have ordered a bigscreen online, my experience is actually the bigger and boxier the safer it is. Nobody will be throwing it around, thats for sure.

Is that price with shipping?? Do they provide insurance??

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

Shipping was free. Amazon's policy says all you have to do is refuse delivery if it looks damaged and you get a refund.

I ended up spending a total of $2175 after buying some cables and an Onkyo TX-SR604. Now my only problem is finding a component cable for my old Xbox; seems they're no longer being made and Amazon sellers want like $60 for a used one. I don't intend on getting a 360 til sometime next year, and I want to play Halo 2 in hi-def now.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Not to sidetrack here but, Viper, I've been looking for a Super Nintendo and just happen to have XBOX component cables I'd be willing to part with if you can dig one up. Just a thought.
And as far as ordering big stuff, my "Big TV" arrived just fine but the trucker guys unloading it lifted it by the nylon strapping that's used to hold it to the wooden skid , tightening them to the point where they (the straps) cut through the box and styrofoam and marred the edge on the top of the screen. I just touched it up with a Sharpie and never thought about it again until now. My advice is to trust your instincts. I kept thinking to myself, "well, these guys do this all the time, they are the pros..." but in reality they just want it off the truck.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

Thanks for the tip. I got rid of my SNES a few years ago. Try half.com. I can't find the damn Xbox A/V pack listed on there, but they do list systems for sale. You could probably snag an SNES.

I'll probably end up checking this local trade-in joint I know to see if they have any of the Xbox cables. Maybe I'll try Gamestop too, just for kicks. The damn site doesn't even list the item anymore though.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
No problem with delivery of my Toshiba 65H84 cross country. Try monoprice.com for cables.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Oh well, it was worth a shot. However, if, in your search you see a SNES for the price you'd like to pay for the cables; I'll be here.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I've ordered 2 HD (1 HD Ready / the other HD) TV's online and both arrived in pristene condition.

1) Toshiba 50H81 CRT (Heavy) RPTV - (Internet dealer in New York July 2001, shipped from Atlanta - sold via Craigslist)

2) Toshiba 56HM195 1080p DLP - (Amazon Jan. 2006)

NOTE: Toshiba is sending me the 1080p Toshiba 62HM196
(Warranty replacement for my 56HM195 - Thank YOU Toshiba!!!
) - I'll report again if it arrives with issues via their chosen Transportation Company.

Phil

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
What the hell!? I just got the shipping confirmation from Amazon. "Shipped via Eagle USA (estimated arrival date: 21-November-2006)." 3 GODDAMN WEEKS!?!?!? Are they serious!?!?!?!?

edit: I did some searching. Found a thread about Eagle USA on AVS Forums. People are saying it doesn't take that long, despite the estimate. I guess we'll see what happens. Currently, the TV and half my cables shipped. Still waiting for confirmation on the other cables and the receiver.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Woah. It says my TV is coming from Harrisburg. Next stop: Pittsburgh. That's interesting because Pittsburgh is only an hour south of here. I wonder if I'll get it this week. hehe

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
Four years ago I bought a 50" CRT RPTV (Toshiba 50H84) from an online dealer. It arrived undamaged, and worked perfectly for the past 4 years.

Several weeks ago, I bought a JVC HD-61FN97 from Best Buy's online site. Arrived undamaged. I also bought a SVS PB12-NSD/2 subwoofer online. Arrived undamaged. Even a replacement glass carafe for my coffeemaker arrived undamaged.

If a significant number of fragile products were damaged in shipping, people would lose faith in purchasing them online. What you see in postings are the damage incidents of a very vocal minority.

Think positive!
Pete

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro