Has anyone ever had to get a replacement social security card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

what a FUN experience that is [​IMG]

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Tell me about it. I just got a new one a few weeks ago because I changed my name. My local SS office competes closely with the DMV for being the most PITA experience.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

haha man, DMV up here is a cakewalk, they don't ask for anything but a check and you're on your way.
    One time my GF needed a new SS card, so we're in the little office/building with the tellers behind bullet proof glass (in ND? why? anyway) so we were new to town and we're waiting, and these 2 guys come in after us and seem to know each other so they're chatting and the one is like "where ya been?" the other says "bismarck" the first "oh? what were you doing down there?" the second guy "time." [​IMG]
    she never did get the card, they sent it to the wrong address somehow (after verifying it 4 times)

4. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

I had to get one earlier this year. I'm 27, and had never possessed one.

It was a royal PITA to submit the form because I don't use my first name, and I didn't have a certified birth certificate.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I didn't have trouble with the birth certificate thing, proving I was alive was the hard one.

6. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I didn't have a problem getting a new one.

7. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Philip,
    Your local DMV accepts checks? Here in NewOrleans, they would laugh you out of the office...my secretary's mom works for the DMV and it still took me 3 days to straighten out a liscense plate on a vehicle I had that the insurance company totalled...had I not had her, it would have been at least a week in that office, and of course, cash ONLY!!! and they wonder why government workers here are so corrupt.

Tim K.

8. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

What I hate are the people who don't provide valid ID & then procede to act like they are the ones who are wronged. Sorry, but a library or credit card isn't going to cut it when you want to get a new SSN card.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yep checks, are the norm here. Things are cheap though, a DL renewal is like 12 dollars [​IMG]
    Ok sarah, but what two forms of ID should I use then? most people have a DL, unless of course they need their SS card for their DL, then you're out of luck. A birth certificate is hardly ID...

10. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Philip, all I needed when I got my new SS card was my drivers license and my marriage certificate. A birth certificate, military ID, or passport will also work. Basically any government issued ID.

11. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Getting my new card wasn't a problem. Just needed to send them a few things telling them that Ken Garrison is my name and my social security number. All we did is look that number up on the tax records or whatever. Not much of a problem. Sent the ID and that number in and back came a SS card.

12. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

Birth certificate doesn't really work for ID after you're 5, unless you are filing for benefits. The main reasoning behind this (I was told) was that some states make their BC part of the public record & anyone could conceivably request those & use them to establish themselves as you.
    To replace your SSN card (not changing any of the info) all you need is one piece of ID. (Driver's license, state ID, employer ID card, passport, marriage/divorce record, adoption record, health insurance card, military ID, life insurance policy or school ID)
    To change the info on your SSN card, (name only) you need to show one or more of the above documents showing your new name as well as your old name (we will also accept a court order for a name change). These documents must be the originals or certified (certified by the county clerk or the clerk who keeps the record, notarizations not accepted). If your birthdate came up as wrong, then we will need to see a birth certificate as well as a piece of id.
    Also, the people at the field offices have the last word on what they will accept. If they do not like you, they will not accept your info. You can appeal to the office manager though.
    And Philip, if your girlfriend requested her card less than a month ag & has not received it, she would be able to get another one mailed to her through the 800#. Once you're past the 15th, you have to file for another one, though.

13. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

Please ignore this double post. :b