What's new

Has anyone ever flown Standby? (1 Viewer)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I might be going to England soon for a visit and my dates aren't that strict. So I was wondering about flying standby. How does that work exactly? Do you show up at the airport with your suitcase and just wait for an empty seat? IF that is the case, how often are these seats available and how much cheaper would it be than booking ahead of time.

Thanks,
Chris

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
All “stand by” means is that you are trying to get on a flight that you don't normally have a ticket for.

In order to fly stand by you must have a ticket for a flight that going to the same destination.

Since the security changes I would imagine that the ticket that you do have probably has to be for the same day you are trying to fly stand by. After all stand by is generally done at the gate and you'll need a ticket to get to the gate in the first place.

The question I have is why would you want to fly stand by? It's no cheaper and generally a big hassle. Take it from some one who just completed a long night of stand by flying via Chicago after a spell of bad weather.

Clint B

Second Unit
I've flown standby many times, but I've had a financial incentive to do so...my dad's a pilot and he's been able to get me heavily discounted "passes" in the past. Normally, I didn't have many problems flying standby, but there were a few times where I would not get on the flight, but my luggage would. I've learned to definitely pack an extra outfit in a carry-on bag since those episodes. Also, I was almost always last to board the plane, and that often meant sitting at or near the very back of the plane (not easy for me since I'm physically handicapped). However, once you get on board, you're treated just like a "regular" passenger, with all the rights, responsibilities, and privileges that come with that. So for me, it usually wasn't a bad deal. However, I wouldn't fly standby unless there was some financial incentive to doing so (perhaps a voucher for another flight to anywhere you want to go from the airline). There is always that chance that you'll get stuck or that something else may go wrong.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Well thanks for clearing that up. I had this misconception that they would sell of any empty seats at a heavy discount to anyone who wanted it. I don't even know where I got that idea from.

But if there is no bargain, and if you already have to have a ticket, then you're right, there would be no point in doing this.

Thanks guys, just wondering,
Chris

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Chris check the airlines website for Websaver tickets if you're not stuck on a leaveing date etc. Usually Air Canada etc. will post last minute seat sales on flights with empty seats a few days before they fly

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Iceland Air usually has good deals to Europe (under $250-$350 roundtrip). There's like a short layover in Reyjkavik, but then you can say you've been to Iceland. :)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I have flown it a couple times through buddy passes or when I wanted to take an earlier flight. The rules that I try to follow are:

1. Don't try to do it on a Monday or Friday unless you have to. These flights are frequently full or full of travellers that have a much higher priority than you will as a normal traveller.

2. Flying standby works best if there are multiple flights, so that you can try several in the same day. I've heard horror stories of Delta employees trying to get back from some foreign destination and getting bumped, and having to burn a week of vacation in Belgium while waiting for the next flight out. Be flexible, and if you have people waiting on you to arrive/depart, make sure they can be flexible too.

3. Be nice to the airline personnel; many times there are a thousand possible ways to go about your trip, and they can help you get onto segments that are undersold if you start getting bumped.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I fly stand-by a few times a month, as my gf works for a big airline company here in Canada. It's no big deal flying stand-by, it just means I COULD get bumped if all the seats sell, as they take priority over me. I've only been bumped once, but I usually plan my departure and arrivals days so I don't have any problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks