Has anyone ever been treated to "Immortal Beloved"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan Castillo, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

I was,at first, forced to watch another film to appease my better half's taste in movies, so that I may continue to pursue my love for all things Home Theater, but found myself enthralled with this movie. I know its not new, but it is new to me. I found Gary Oldman's acting to be superb, not unlike anything he has ever made. Dolby Digital soundtrack, for lack of a better expression " Kicked A##" I lost myself in the Ode to Joy scene and felt I too was amongst the stars. Anyway.. Great movie, if you haven't already, check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed..

For those who do not know, this movie is based on the life and loves of Ludwig Van Beethoven.

2. Rajj Nair

Rajj Nair Stunt Coordinator

Juan,
    I hv seen this one too...... its one awesome movie.... and you would never guess who the "immortal beloved" is right uptil the very end!!!!
    One cool movie and Gary Oldman rocks!!
    Rajj [​IMG]

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Those who know a lot about Beethoven tend to hate it with vitriol due to the unnecessary liberties take with the film. I rather enjoy it myself, and Oldman puts in a terrific performance.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    What's amazing is that so much of the narrator dialog is in Beethoven's own words, albeit taken out of context. I have a copy of Beethoven's letters (Dover ed.) and was amazed to find that so much was taken from his very words, expressed in dozens of letters. Yes it's revisionist history of a gross sort but fascinating none the less. And it's a lot less "revisionist" than Stone movies. Ludwig's battles over Carl have always fascinated me and really did take up so much of his time.

It's really difficult to make a good film about a creative artist, because most of what they are doing is internal. The only others I can think of are Amadeus (more revisionism) and The Agony And The Ecstacy (high camp and great Papal satire).

5. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

I enjoy Immortal Beloved in the same way that I enjoy Amadeus -- I realize that there is much more fiction than fact, but appreciate the movies for the way in which they use the composer's own music.

6. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Oh, and Dennis, what is your sig from? Sounds familiar...

7. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Being both the Beethoven and Oldman fanatic, this was required viewing for me when it was released. Other than the "soap operatic" nature of the film and its slight inaccuracies (especially concerning the Immortal Beloved), I thought it was an excellent cinematic film. I do regret the filmmakers not using Beethoven's lesser known works for the scoring....

8^B

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'll echo the above sentiments - yeah, they took some liberties, but it's a very enjoyable film. The DVD is one of my favorites.

9. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Funny, I just watched this yesterday. Good film. I give it a B. I absolutely HATE that opening shot of Oldman's face with the lightning and the opening notes of the 5th playing. Talk about campy. And there is a big chunk in the middle of the film that diverts too far from the Immortal Beloved theme, IMO.

The Ode to Joy sequence and that last shot of Beethoven fading into the stars are great though.

10. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I love this movie, in fact I'm about due for another viewing since it's been a while. Oldman's performance is exceptional, and the scoring is very good (though maybe a bit too dependnent on his more famous works). The first time I saw the movie I wasn't really into classical music, but I still enjoyed it. After coming to love Beethoven's music, the movie was that much more powerful.

Listening to the director's commentary, it's pretty clear that Bernard Rose loves Beethoven's music, and tried to create a movie that basically has the music at its core, and tells a story that serves to create imagery for the music. I think he succeeded quite well in that regard; the Ode to Joy scene is truly awe-inspiring and will often move me to tears.

The movie has indeed been criticized for inaccuracies, and I think most music historians will agree that the theory put forth by the movie as to the identity of the Immortal Beloved is almost certainly wrong. But it does work to add drama to the film, and since the true identity is not conclusively known I think it's forgiveable. Other than that I was under the impression that the movie was fairly accurate, though I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert.

11. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

How does the disc look and sound? [​IMG]

12. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

The tranfer is good. There is some artifacting I noticed, but nothing big. It's Columbia/Tristar, so you know it's at least a good quality trasfer. I don't have a surround setup right now, but I'm sure the sound is good as well.

13. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Sound is excellent as well, with more dynamics and surround activity than you would expect from this type of movie.

14. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Been away from the internet all weekend. Honestly Got more response than I imagined. I did not expect such activity from the surrounds with this type of movie either, but was greatly pleased with the DD soundtrack. Glad to know I'm not alone on this one.

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The sound is terrific; there are some cannon shots during the siege of Vienna that will really give your subwoofer a workout, which is quite a surprise for a movie about classical music.