What's new

Has anyone else recieved their copy of "Sunset Blvd."? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Mine is in the post - should be here by monday morning. I live in Britain and ordered it from Laser Visual Software which is a site that is famous for getting titles over two weeks early. Cost me £18.99/$30.13, which is quite expensive for my sensibilities, but I just thought "what the heck" on this occassion and ordered it. They have Roman Holiday in stock too. I have not read reviews of either yet, but I have heard that the transfer for Sunset Blvd. is very good. :emoji_thumbsup:
As soon as I get it, I'll give my opinion on it.
Thanks for reading.
Gordy

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Matt Brighton at dvdauthority.com posted his review today. It was very positive. His only real complaint was that the commentary track was presented a bit dryly. It can be reached by clicking here.
Regards,

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Bob, I'll be sure to check it out.
It's a great film and I have been looking forward to the DVD for a long time now. :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link, Ken. :emoji_thumbsup:
I'm glad that Paramount chose to work with LDI for this release. I can't wait to revel in the quality of the transfer! :D
Mark Brighton said: "My only major complaint is the featurette with Edith Head: The Paramount years. This is the exact same featurette that is found on the To Catch a Thief DVD as well as the Roman Holiday DVD. I've no problems with featurettes, but to pass the same one off on multiple discs is just tacky."
Well, I still haven't recieved my To Catch A Thief DVD, so I don't know how good this featurette is, but for those who have no intention of buying TCAT, this will make sense. But as long as Paramount don't include it on 10 or so other titles, then I guess it's okay. Like I said, I have been looking forward to Sunset Blvd. coming to DVD - and in a SE to boot, and I can't wait to experience this classic again in a new high-quality DVD transfer.
Thanks again,
Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
To work, Sergio! Cheers! :emoji_thumbsup:
Jeff McNeal at The Big Picture said: "I really wish the studios employing LDI would include a brief "before and after restoration" clip on their DVD's to show the great pains and effort they undertook to rescue films like this from oblivion. Paramount did in fact include a nice feature about restoration ROMAN HOLIDAY. I would have enjoyed seeing one for SUNSET BOULEVARD, too."
I agree 100%. Lowry and his crew should feel proud of their work and exactly what they do should be shown on each DVD they worked on. I would love to see a before-and-after of Zhivago.
Great review though by McNeal - 5 globes for a film over 50 years-old! Wow! :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

DeeF

Screenwriter
Interesting, unfortunate news.

Sunset Boulevard (special edition) is being sold in a Billy Wilder set, with Sabrina and Stalag 17.

Roman Holiday (special edition) is being sold in an Audrey Hepburn set, with Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Both sets contain Sabrina! How annoying.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
What are the odds on major B&Ms stocking this? I really want to pick this up on it's release day and am waiting to place my next online order in early December.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i used to be a page at paramount studios. sometimes i would give studio tours.
one place i *always* stopped at was the original studio gate which (unfortunately) isn't used anymore.
i always said, "anyone remember the part in sunset boulevard where norma desmond comes driving through in her car? it was done RIGHT HERE!!! you're standing on history folks!"
very few people knew what the hell i was talking about...
but then i would take them to the medical facility which doubled as the porch for the flight-instructor chick from top gun and they all knew exactly what i was talking about.
sheesh... :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Big Picture mentions this was done to be output to film...

Is this just the standard lower-res 2K restoration, or high enough to actually qualify as a preservation of the film?

This DVD is on my purchase list...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My review goes up later tonight.

Outstanding DVD. Transfer is first-rate.

This was the first time I ever saw the movie,
and I have to tell you....I was floored!

One of the best classic films I have ever seen.

What's also funny is that BIG PICTURE took the
exact same screenshots that I selected (and vise-
versa). Seems we both have the same taste when it
comes to favorite stills.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just got through the whole dvd and like Ron stated the dvd presentation is excellent. However, the absence of film grain does take a way the feeling that you're replicating a movie theater experience when watching this dvd.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks