Has Anyone Else Received Their "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" DVD Yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John P Grosskopf, May 15, 2002.

1. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

I opened up my mailbox this morning and was surprised to see my copy of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" waiting for me in the post.

That's 1 day short of 2 weeks before street date here in the U.S.

I ordered from an online retailer in Canada (who shall go unnamed of course) just to have the "Philosopher" version, as everyone and their mother will have the domestic "Sorcerer's" release and I can't help wanting to be different.

Is this typical for Canadian retailers.

2. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

Depends on the retailer, of course. In my dealings with, oh, say, I have gotten new releases up to 2 weeks ahead of street date. Not necessarily so for other retailers.
    I quit pre-ordering from anyone, though, since my local retailers generally have all the new releases form about $3-4 less than most of the online retailers, and I don't have to pay shipping.

Post Edited by Administrator - Please, don't name retailers that break release dates. Thank you.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I ordered mine from another Canadian retailer, and still no word. Consider yourself lucky.[​IMG]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Warner is shipping these very early. I know of at least one retailer in NYCity who had copies on display as early as last week.

M.

5. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

In the movie here in the US, they refer to it as the Sorcerer's stone in the movie. In the Canadian or "unaltered" version, do they still refer to it as the Sorcerer's stone within the movie, or did they do two takes every time it was said in the movie and also refer to it as the philosopher's stone?

Actually, an even better question is why was it it renamed in the first place?

I'm thinking of picking this up next time I'm in Canada but I'm curious if it's different at all.

6. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Is this just a typo? That would seem to be quite a change, having a totally different character in the scene.

9. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I'm definately going to pick this up in Canada then. I waited until I could get back there to buy the books recently. It's worse than the whole OAR/MAR argument to me, these books were seriously altered for the US audience... very strange.

Thanks for the feedback and that link... that's just what I was looking for.

10. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

I think I'll order the Canadian release, as I never picked up the US release and I'd rather have the "authentic" version.

Is Amazon.ca a reliable online source for Canadian product?

11. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    QUOTE =========
    The American publisher didn't think enought people knew what the philosopher's stone was so they gave it a more "exciting" name.
    QUOTE =========
    I thought it was more related to assumed intelligence level than assumed excitement level, so I was surprised that the new one hadn't been renamed to Harry Potter and the Room of Secrets.
    I think there's one coming up with a Cauldron in it. Hopefully the replacement word: Bucket will have that same level of excitement to it.
    [​IMG]
    Get your James Bond Books in Canada too. It's the UK version as well.