Has anyone else had audio dropouts with their Kenwood HTB-504?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

A friend of mine came over tonight and offered a possible solution to my audio dropouts. I had left too much copper from the speaker cable (Monster XP 12 Gauge). His suggestion was to cut the wire so that none of the wire was exposed (thus eliminating the possibility for interference). After doing that, I've noticed that the audio dropouts occur less frequently. However, they still occur. A buddy of mine at work said that it could be a problem with speaker wire degradation. With Fry's track record on returns (that's where I purchased my speaker cables), I'm not too surprised.

Should replacing the speaker wire help? Could it be a defective unit? Should I take it back and exchange it for another unit and see if the problem persists?

Does anyone else have other solutions?

2. Steve Klein

Steve Klein Extra

dunno... never had a problem with the kenwood 504.

3. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Okay...this is rather weird. Just got around to calibrating my audio system with VE and the Radio Shack Analog SPL Meter. Everything seems fine now. I've been playing Twister: DTS (which I picked up last night) and there hasn't been an audio dropout for precisely 23 minutes. Normally (as in the Die Hard: Five Star Collection), it would occur within the first five-ten minutes if it would occur at all.

Perhaps my problem is with my DVD player (a Pioneer DV-525). Unfortunately, I don't have other DVD players I can conduct a test with. Audio always seemed to play fine on my TV's speakers. Shouldn't be any reason why audio dropouts would occur with the receiver if it's the fault of the DVD player. I'll be doing more investigating on this issue today. Perhaps calibrating played a large role in fixing the audio dropouts (I hope).

I'll keep on posting updates.