Has anyone else dealt with LFVW.com aka Luminous Film and Video Wurks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I recently ordered "Cannibal Holocaust" from them and I finally recieved it today. Upon opening the box, I found the DVD was NOT shrinkwrapped and there was NO DVD in the case!!!! I find this very odd and am going to send the box back demanding a new copy of this DVD. I am wondering:
    1. Have any of you dealt with them before and if so:
    2. Has this ever happened before (or is this just a fluke?)
    3. Has anyone had a problem with them and if so, contacted their customer service AND if so, how is their response?
    4. Why does this stuff always happen to me?
    Thanks for any and all input.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Well, these guys used to sell tons of bootlegs under the public domain banner. I first saw DEEP RED after renting a composite they created that my local vid store stocked. I have not dealt with or seen their stuff in at least four years, so if they are legit now, great.
    But from your post, it doesn't sound that way. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I just ordered my first DVD from them the other day, House on the Edge of the Park. It came today, just like yours, not shrink wrapped. Since it is a foreign disc, I just assumed they opened it to make sure the disc was inside and ok. I haven't tried watching it yet, though.

4. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I contacted the company and the contact said they have to put the packaging together: shrinkwrap, dvd, case and all and they may have been the cause of the problem. He said he would send the disc right away. I hope so, I'm lamed out.
    Awesome response time to my email though. That may be a good sign.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Brad_W on October 01, 2001 at 08:20 PM]

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Did you get the anamorphic version of CH? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive from the UK; they appear to have been delayed in the aftermath of the WTC attacks.

6. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

I ordered a couple tapes from them a couple years ago. One was blank after the first couple minutes, and the guy never responded to emails asking for a replacement, and then after I got pissed waiting, a refund. I had to contact my credit card company to get the charge removed. I've never ordered from them again and will never do so again.

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Greg,
    Yes, CH is the anamorphic version. Sorry to hear that you have to wait. It appears I now do as well.
    Jeff,
    I am sorry to hear about your bad run-in with them. If I don't recieve my disc soon, I will not deal with them again also. I prolly won't regardless, but we'll see.
    ------------------

8. Takayuki Kihara

Takayuki Kihara
    I've dealt with them a lot in the past (both VHS and DVD), and their service is excellent, IMO. Mostly it only takes a few days for the package to arrive at my door step after the order is submitted, and this is simply a great place to order some obscure Euro cult DVDs for this reason alone.
    In one instance, though, the DVD wasn't shrinkwrapped (it was Ruscico's Solaris), but the discs looked new, without any sign of scratches. Too bad someone else has had problems with them, but I'll be ordering from them again in the future without doubt.

9. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I've dealt with them twice. In each instance I received my order here in Australia in just over a week. Every email query I sent to them was responded to promptly.
    My last order with them was for two DVD's - HENRY PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER and CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (both European imports). One of the two was shrink-wrapped, the other wasn't. Given that some of LFVW's discs are imported from Holland, there might be circumstances where a shrink-wrap is removed for reasons beyond their control. Alternatively, they might have a need to check some discs to ensure that they are selling you the right product. This wouldn't be a problem if they just dealt with Region 1 titles, but for limited-run imports I can see where it might come in handy.
    I know of one extremely well-meaning, committed, honest and reliable mail-order tape service (not LFVW) that has also shipped blank or incorrect tapes to a customer at some point. The likelihood here, when you're dealing with dupes supervised by a single person trying to process dozens of orders at once, is that the incident is a simple mistake. A missing disc from a keepcase is probably something similar. I really doubt that LFVW would do anything like that in a deliberate attempt to stiff a customer, simply as they have too much to lose by pissing off their customer base. Just from my own experience, Luminous have been fine. A friend of mine here in Melbourne also ordered the HENRY disc on my advice, and received it just over a week later. I'll have no problems in ordering from them again.
    Sazuma has a much, much worse rep when in comes to customer service. Not sure if this helps but I'd be prepared to initially give Luminous the benefit of the doubt. YMMV, but their reliability has been fine for me to date.