1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone else auditioned the Energy Connoisseur series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Shah, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

I listened to the C-1 (bookshelf) speakers last night, which sound very impressive for the price (sticker = CDN$400). I feel that they sound a bit more detailed than the XL line. I listened to them as hooked up to a Denon two-channel receiver (DRA685, I believe) and a Denon CD changer.
    I feel as if this line is a direct competitor to the Paradigm Monitor series. The salesperson mentioned that the C-1 could be matched with an Energy Encore centre, as they are timbre-matched. I'm not sure if I believe him, so I fired off a quick email to Energy this morning.
    Has anyone else auditioned these speakers? Does anyone have any thoughts on the Connoisseur series vs. Paradigm's Monitor line?
    The battle for 'north of the border' speaker dominance rages on.
    Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
    -Nick

2. Thomas_Riel

Thomas_Riel Agent

I'm also interested in opinions on the new Connoisseur series. I am wondering if they are compatible with my Energy's C-2s. I want to use the C-2s as rears. There is not many Energy dealers in my area and the one's that are here don't have the new series in. Maybe its me, but it just seems that not too many people here are interested or have Energy products.

Tom

3. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

Thomas,

I would advise you to contact Energy's customer service department by e-mail. I've received prompt and extremely helpful replies from them in the past (just yesterday, in fact). They'd be able to comment on speaker matching with the new Connoisseur series. The address is on their website.

-Nick Shah

4. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

I finally got to hear the C-3 bookshelve models last Wednesday. Wow. These seem to be a very impressive speaker to my ear. They were hooked to a Marantz 8200 I believe, and they were very detailed. Now my listening demo was only 5-7 minutes but the sound was just great.
    As for matching other lines, not too sure. They use they same tweeter as the Veritas line is what I was told, so timbre matching may not be exactly the same as in the encore or e:xl series. Hope that helps. IMO, these are direct competition for PSB's Image series as well as the fore mentioned Monitor line from Paradigm.
    Cheers,
    Steve

5. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Nick, I listened to the C-3 bookshelf directly against the PSB Image 4T just recently. Gave them a good half hour workout with rock/blues and I can tell you the Energy C3 was sweet. Very open and airy sounding, great imaging. However, the Image 4T was no slouch and provided deeper bass(its a tower) but I was impressed with the C3

By the way I have the Take 5.2 and will probably pick up the c3 or c5 to go with them. The Energy rep. happened to be at the store when I was there and told they would match OK and that all their tweeters are the same material(aluminum dome) Good luck, Mike

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Nick,
    I listened to the C-1 and I am totally convinced this will be the speaker I'll get for my small den system. I was able to compare the C-1 will the Klipsch Synergy Series bookshelf speakers, the Boston Acoustics CR Series, and even Energy's own e:XL Series bookshelf speakers. For me, the C-1 sounded the best, and only US$300.00/pair. Excellent bass for a speaker with only a 5 1/2" bass/midrange driver. And those magnetic grill holders and the binding posts are to die for. I posted an earlier thread here.
    By the way, the salesman I spoke with at my local dealer also said the center and surround channels can be used with Encore speakers.

7. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

I wanted to upgrade my current system (polk rt800i's, cs400i) so i just purchased the c5 floorstanding speakers as well as the c-c1 center channel. First, the speakers looks incredible. They have got 2 be the sexiest design that i have seen in a long time. I haven't had too much time to play with them but i can tell you that the speakers sound amazing with music. Even the center channel sounds full and rich. I would have to say that music sounds better with these new energy speakers. Now as far as hometheater goes, i found the center channel to not be as full and strong as my polk cs400i center (DAMN!!!). The polks have 2-6.5" woofers where the energy has 2-5.25" woofers. I heard that I should let the speaker break in before i make any final decisions so i'll give it about 2 weeks.

Now from what i was reading in the manual, there is suppose to be 2 models for the center speaker, the c-c1 and c-c3. i have yet to find any info about the c-c3 so i was wondering if it was even going to be released. Anybody else have any experiences with the center yet?