What's new

Has anyone done a sub with this 18" beast? (1 Viewer)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
18ani.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

http://www.audioc.com/subs/ACI_drivers/sv18.htm
From the DIY pages at ACI.
Curious if anyone has made a sub with this guy, and how were the results?
RichardH

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Richard,
I am playing around with a design for the SV18! I have modeled the 6.4ft^3, 19Hz tuned enclosure and it looks pretty good. I also tried an 8ft^3 enclosure with the same tuning. It seems to be a little flatter with a few more dB of low frequency extension. I want to try to use lspCAD as well. I downloaded it the other night, but I had a little trouble loading the SV18's parameters. It's not quite as easy to use as BassBox, but from what I understand lspCAD seems to be a better simulator. I've also used WinSpeakerz and with 1000 watts into the driver you only get half way to full Xmax around 30Hz. I had to use 3000 watts to get to the full 20mm linear Xmax!
My biggest question is would using two 4" flared ports be underporting this driver? Once you go to a 6" port the length gets very long! Any input from Greg M. and all the other experienced builders would be greatly appreciated! If you guys had this driver, what enclosure would you put it in?
Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
My biggest question is would using two 4" flared ports be underporting this driver? Once you go to a 6" port the length gets very long!
Funny you should bring that up,Brian. See this thread for John J.s comments on why the 6" might be better for you.
------------------
Link Removed
I prefer to listen to my music in its Original Aspect Ratio: Stereo.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
So what about this?
This driver in a 6.4ft^3 enclosure tuned to 19Hz using WinISD:
2 4" ports 25.81" long, Vent Mach=.10
1 6" port 27.94" long, Vent Mach=.18
2 6" ports 60.27" long, Vent Mach=.05
1 8" port 51.62" long, Vent Mach=.10
Which of these alignments would be best? If you increase the enclosure to 8ft^3 the port lengths get shorter, but the vent mach's don't seem to change much. Regardless of which I go with I'd at least flare the port coming out of the enclosure.
What do you guys think?
Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I used WinISD for a long time before I downloaded Adire's LspCAD. Now that I've gotten the hang of it,I much prefer the latter. From what I've been told,WinISD is just plain wrong at times wrt port length,mach,etc. I wouldn't base too much on those numbers.
2 4" ports 25.81" long, Vent Mach=.10
1 6" port 27.94" long, Vent Mach=.18
Even this seems off. A 6" circle has greater area than 2 4" circles , yet the vent mach shown for the 6" port is almost twice that of the dual 4" ports. (Could be a typo,but this is the kind of error I'm referring to.)
------------------
Link Removed

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Would you be willing to plug in the SV18 specs into LspCAD and play around a bit? I tried last night but I must have done something wrong. I kept getting a Peerless woofer or something.
Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd be happy to (I would have done so already,actually), but I've only got Adire's version, which only includes their drivers, and doesn't allow adding/editing parameters.
------------------
Link Removed

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
It appears that the demo version that you can download from Liberty Instrument's website is the same way! What good is a demo version of a program if it doesn't allow you to load in your own driver parameters? I don't expect full functionality, but SOME functionality would be nice!
Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I can see the point in Adire's inclusion of only their drivers, as it's distributed as an Adire driver/design utility, not as "LspCAD" as such, but can't you do anything with your version...what drivers are included?
------------------
Link Removed

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
There's just a single Peerless driver. It will not allow me to make any changes! How do you decide if you want to buy the product if you can't load in some simple T/S parameters and see what type of results you get? Maybe 10 or 20 well-known drivers to play with would be beneficial, but how many people are going to be familiar with one specific driver? I was able to input the information but couldn't save it. Maybe I should e-mail them about this to see if I'm missing something.
Has anyone here downloaded the demo and plugged in their own driver parameters?
Brian

ChrisA

Second Unit
The Seismic 8196E or 8196HK smokes that driver at an even lower price of approx $550.00 per driver. However, I am uncertain of availability of the 8196E or HK at this time.

Steve Hanna

Agent
ChrisA
"The Seismic 8196E or 8196HK smokes that driver at an even lower price of approx $550.00 per driver. However, I am uncertain of availability of the 8196E or HK at this time."

------------------
Steve Hanna
Audioaficionado

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
The Seismic drivers do look awesome, but could you please elaborate on what you mean by "smokes" the SV18? Could you provide some real data concerning output capabilities of both? As far as a difference is driver cost, lets just say that isn't an issue. :)
Brian
P.S. If the Seismic drivers aren't available then the difference REALLY isn't an issue!
wink.gif

------------------

Steve Hanna

Agent
When vents get this long, its time to consider PRs. Much easier to get Fb real low.
------------------
Steve Hanna
Audioaficionado

ChrisA

Second Unit
The power compression should be a lot less with the Seismic driver and its 4 inch voice coil, therfore also giving better power handling.
The VAS is also twice that of the SV-18... for me that is a great thing.
The Fs of the 8196 HK driver is about the same at around 15-16 Hz.
The cone of the HK driver is probably more ridig, but I'm sure they are both very rigid.
High BL designs with underhung voice coil is hard to beat.
I also think that there is more linear xmax and greater xmax in general with the 8196 HK, AFAIK...
I can't think of anything that the SV-18 can do better, except perhaps work in a smaller box? No doubt the SV-18 looks decent, but at $700+ with things like the Seismics around for $200 less...
When I find a better driver, I'll make a Black Hole Quasar Slipstream Plus...
The beauty of LARGE enclosures is being able to easily tune them with large ports. The Black Hole Sub is tuned to 14 Hz and uses a 9.75 inch diameter port. With a MAXIMUM port velocity of 15 m/s .... This only requires a 36 inch length port because of the large enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks