has anyone done a side by side with the onk 898vs797 for straight 2 channel music?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

If so, what were the results? Do they sound the same? Do they sound different? If different, what are they? Thanks.

2. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I haven't done a side by side comparison of them, but I have owned the 797 for about 4 months before upgrading to the 898 through my local dealer due to an extended warranty issue. From memory, they sound very similar, the 898 just has a few more feaures and one more amplified rear channel. While I think the 797 is an excellent receiver, I would highly recommend the 898 for the price difference of maybe $200-$300. I definately wouldn't spend the full list price of $1500 for the 898 though because the Denon 3802 has just about the same features, except THX, for a lot less.

That really seems to be the hardest part about shopping for a receiver these days in the $800 to $1200 price range. They are all good receivers, they just don't offer the exact same features at this price point. For example if you were to compare the Onkyo 797 to the H/K 520, both retail for close to the same price. The overall consensus seems to be that they are both excellent receivers, they just don't match in features. I found this to be mostly true across the board from manufacturer to manufacturer. This makes the decision of which one to buy extremely hard because I have yet to hear anyone say that the Denon/Onkyo/Harman Kardon/ Sony ES/Yamaha/Marantz/ etc is a piece of junk at this price point. I guess it boils down to buying based on preferred sound quality vs. features.

3. Todd smith

I agree. I am just trying to figure out which takes priority. I am leaning towards sound quality.

4. John E F

Either one of the Onkyo's would be a good choice. The upsampling is nice and the 898 has a pure audio mode which is a direct mode that shuts off all the video and display capabilities so it can focus on two channel sound only.

5. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

The 797 also has a Direct mode, direct analoug pass through. How's about we say, if you can afford the 898, it is obviously better, it retails for $500 more. The differences on paper, are not much though, but they are in favor of the 898. Buying an 898 was not an option for me, as the 797 was on sale and the 898 wasn't. I love the 797, and either way, you'll love the 797 or 898, but you had better buy the 898, just so that one day, you don't ever think to youself, "wow maybe I should have bought the 898". But if you will not be goign 7.1 anytime soon like me, the 797 is fine. Happy Listening!

6. John E F

Good point Kyle, buyer the 898 if you can would take care of the "what if?" factor. On the other hand, while I obviously like the 898, I don't think it is $500 better than the 797. The 797 is already an excellent receiver for the price. The max I would pay would be $250 over the 797, which will already do "7.1" with an outboard amp. If you don't plan on using two rear surrounds anytime soon, you may want to buy the 797 and spend the extra money on a good two-channel amp later.

7. Aaron Holbrook

go with onkyo's better line, Integra, I absolutly love mine.

8. Danie_P

Danie_P Extra

Or with the ONKYO INTEGRA TX-898 as we got in Europe!!!
    And the CHAD remotev is included in .... [​IMG]
    Daniel

9. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

OK Todd, Still sitting on the fence. Feels bad doesn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have $1070 get the 898. I did not have that much money to throw at a rcvr. $770 just about caused a deep impact fracture in my skull from my wife.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Todd smith

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have become obsesessed!!![​IMG] [​IMG] I think I have decided on the receiver though. I think I am going back to my original decision with the 3802. I like having the peace of mind that 7.1 is ready to go, and dd-ex which the h/k does not do. A month from now when I am in HT heaven It will be all woth it! I went and listened to the 3802 yesterday and thought it sounded great.

11. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

6TH AVE[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]