What's new

Has anyone done a self-install on a Dish PVR-501? (1 Viewer)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Tomorrow I'm getting a Dish PVR-501. The installer is scheduled to come while I'm at work so my wife will have to deal with him/her. I already have a Dish receiver so the 501 will take it's place. Now I'm wondering if I should just have the installer leave the box and do the install myself. I'm not uneasy about doing it, I installed the dish antenna, ran the wiring and setup my first receiver but it wasn't a PVR. The reason I don't want the installer to do it is because I really don't want someone screwing with my HT setup and getting to some of the wires is a royal pain.

So, has anyone out there installed their Dish PVR-501 themselves? If so could you provide some tips, do's/don'ts, etc. I did a search at dbsforums but didn't find a whole lot. Thanks!

Eric Boudreau

Auditioning
Hi John,

I installed my unit while the installer was on the roof installing the dish. Its way easier than hooking up an A/V receiver!

I would hook it up with the installer there with you, that way if there are any problems with the unit, he can deal with it immediately. The first one we hooked up didn't work, he had to get another one out of his truck.

I've had some flakiness with my unit, including sound degradation, loss of recorded programs, and weird behavior in the PVR menu. Rebooting usually resolves many problems. To reboot, power it down, remove the smart card, put it back in, and power back up.

Good luck!

-Eric

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
When I got my 501, I installed it myself. It's simple once the dish is already installed. Just hook in the coax and whatever I/O you have.
It DOES take a few minutes to setup and download the program guide so you might want to let the tech do the grunt work. This will also let him detect if you have a DOA unit.
He will likely just use the existing connections from the old unit - should be simple.
PS: You/your wife will love the PVR. :)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies. I did some more research and the biggest difference in installing a PVR is formatting the hard drive. Apparently this procedure along with downloading the firmare to the Eprom takes several minutes. Once this is complete you then call to activate.

I'll let you know how it goes...

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Well the installer came yesterday and set everything up. He even knew to hook up the optical audio cable from my A/V receiver. Everything seems to be working ok but to me the picture looks a slight bit "softer". I'll do an Avia calibration tonight for my own sanity check.

PS: You/your wife will love the PVR.
You were right Bob! My wife had already recorded two shows by the time I got home from work. It's the only HT gear she has actually called "cool".

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I had the installer install the 501, since he seems cool and knowledgable enuogh. In my setup, I'm not subscribing to local channels and for some reason, I'm not sure of, the installer installed the OTA feed onto the back of the 501 and then added a cable from the output to my VCR. However, since I only ever watch the 501 with either the composite A/V output or via S-video and the optical jacks, I took off the jumper and wired the OTA antenna back to the VCR as I originally had it. I'm not entirely sure why he would wire the OTA feed throught the 501 since the 501 cannot record the OTA feed anyway and I had problems with my VCR and timed recording recording blank video cause the selector was wrong on the 501. So to be safe, I simply got rid of the middleman (the 501) and wired it up as it was before. (Got a free RG-6 cable to boot).

That is something you might check, if you aren't getting local channels and use your VCR to record OTA stuff. Pissed me off once when I missed an episode of Alias and got the blue screen of VCR death!

Jay

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Jay,
I pay for locals since Flanders is in a valley and we get squat for OTA reception. This is also the reason I like the music channels since radio reception is just as bad. The one thing that peeved me though is now that I have the Top 150 package I have more music channels but they're in mono! What a gyp!
Since this unit is replacing a model 2800 all the installer had to do was unhook the 2800 and put the 501 in it's place. He left behind the telephone cord and audio RCA cables and an extra S-Video cable. Not a great one but good to have as a backup. The model 2800 did not have optical audio out so the night before the install I hooked up an optical cable from my receiver and left the other end where I wanted the 501 to go. The install guy was bright enough to hook this up so I'm good to go.
Have you seen this website: Shows in DD 5.1 ?
I'm curious if shows like NYPD Blue are really in 5.1 and not 2.0 Dolby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks