Has anyone compared the BIC Floorstanding speakers to the Premier Acoustic line up?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Luis Gabriel Gerena, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Im very tempted by these speakers as they claim a really good (too good to be true?) frequency response @ +/-3db. Anyone can share their feeling about it and even better if you have tried both.
    Do you think Im not giving my Harman Kardon avr-635 a good quality speaker to show what it can do?
    My other choice are Onix X-sls or HTD Level 3 bookshelves.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Luis

I have not heard either of those speakers, however, the Premier Acoustic would be worth the difference of $200 to me because they are available in real cherry wood, Parker Clack owns a set and likes it.

Speakers are a very subjective part of your system. While I have bought several sets of speakers without having heard them, I always had some respected feedback before I purchased them. It is always better to hear speakers before you buy them. But, that is not likely to be the case in your situation.

There are so many choices in speakers.

Let me know which way you are leaning.

Arthur

3. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Someone just offered me some Klipsch-RB-61 too! I cant make up my mind :) I like those cause they are rated at 43hz +/-3db and look good too.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Luis

With all due respect, the 43hz is not of much importance. Virtually everyone now recommends that you cross over all your speakers at 80Hz. This relieves your receiver of the most demanding part of the spectrum, giving you virtually unlimited power to drive the speakers. My mains are flat to 32 and I cross them over at 80Hz. It is cleaner not having the bass from the subwoofer interacting with the bass from the mains.

That said, Klipsch are good speakers, IMHO, and maybe you can actually hear them!

Keep me posted [​IMG]

5. Luis Gabriel Gerena

The thing is, I live in an apartment so I cant use my sub all the time and it will be nice to have a bookshelf with nice low freq extension. Also, based on my own experiences, the better the range the fuller the sound is. Also, since I have a HK avr-635 so Im not really concern about the power been an issue. Also the HK has the mains+lfe for the sub that I really like :)

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

down 3 db at 43 Hz is not particularly impressive. But if you can get them for a good price, might be the way to go [​IMG]

7. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Why is down 3db not impressive specially for a bookshelf? Arent speakers normally quote as +/- 3db ? I can get a pair for $225 shipped (used). What do you think?

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Luis

That is not bad for a bookshelf. I guess I am just used to the fact that my much larger than bookshelf speakers, with 8 inch woofers, down 3db at 32Hz, do a decent but not really satisfying job with deep bass.

Also, I was thrown off by the title of your thread. I thought you were talking about the floorstander versions of the two packages you asked about.

There is only so much you can get out of a small box.

The price of the Klipsch's is good and I like horn loaded tweeters. You are probably right, in a bookshelf speaker at that price, you won't get better than 43Hz.

Let me know how you like them [​IMG]

9. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Actually my thread started as a BIC vs Premier Acoustics floorstanders and turned into a Klipsch RB-61 thread suddenly :)