What's new

Has Anyone Compared Rotel and B&K Power Amps? (1 Viewer)

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to purchase a power amp for 50% classical music and 50% HT. With my budget, I am considering Rotel 1095 or 1075, or B&K 7250. I know 7250 is a discontinued model, and the street price should be closed to 1095. Has anyone compared the Rotel and B&K? What are the differences between the two? My system includes Rotel 1066 pre/pro, and Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, ADP. My room size is 15x25x10. Any comment is welcome. Or, any suggestion besides these two?

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
That's a pretty large room. So, I'd say don't scrimp on power. But, I always say....DON'T SCRIMP ON POWER! I see so many people on this and other forums that think small amps will do them just fine. And within a year end up looking for bigger amps.

My room is 12'x24'x8' and I'm running the Rotel 1090 for may main speakers and a 1095 for my SVS subs, center and rear speakers. I personally like the sound of Rotel amps. That's why I bought two of them. But, B&K are very good as well. You may also check out Parasound if there is a dealer in the area.

As far as sound quality of the Rotel and B&K goes. You really have to audition and listen to each and evaluate how they handle music to your ears. For HT I personally don't think either will sound a whole lot different. But, for music you may pick out things in one amp that is more to your taste. If possible audition each in your house with your equipment.

If a dealer won't let you do so. Slap him or her around a little. :)

With a room that size I wouldn't go with less than 200wpc as a starting point. That's also a room that will require some pretty good subs.

Good luck.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Both make great Amps. The Rotel 1095 will give you about 2db over the 1075. Is it worth the extra $1000, I think not. That 1075 Amp will run those Paradigms just fine. The 1095 does not give enough in volume to justify the $1000 more, Not to me anyway!Listen to both Rotel & B&K and decide for yourself. I went with the Rotel 1075 and my room is 22 x 25 and it is more then enough for my Paradigm Studio's. Add the PW 2200 sub and your set.:D

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have listened to various amps from B&K and Rotel over the years. In general I have found to like the warm tubelike B&K sound. Its very musical and laidback. The Rotel OTOH is also slightly warm but tending towards neutral. For Paradigms I would personally go with B&K as I found them to be slightly forward and with B&K they smooth things out just right. Either would be a good choice for most. They both make excellent amps that are a great value and to see any noticable improvement over these amps you will have to spend substantial $$$. Also put Parasound on your short list. These are also excellent sounding musical amps that will suit your system just fine. Also like mentioned earlier go with atleast 200W/ch as it will assure your system has enough headroom for those exploding alien heads:)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
James

No one can tell you which amp you will prefer. Having had 3 amps at home at one time, I found that none was ideal in every respect. This one had more bass, that one had more punch, the other one sounded the most natural.

What this says to me is, if you listen to classical or other music with real instruments the most natural sounding would be worth trying to ferret out. My choice was a Nakamichi and the company is not making separate amps any more and their receivers are a couple years behind.

Yet even so, when you add a subwoofer to your system, the subtle differences I mentioned are even harder to hear.

200 watts per channel is a good target but subwoofers have diminished the need for that much power unless you listen to soundtracks at very high levels. For stereo, these multichannel amps just cruise, having the reserves from the unused channels to draw on, (unless you get an amp that has completely separate transformers and capacitors for each channel.)

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread