Has anyone compared DPL 2 to THX for Stereo TV broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arthur S, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I've tried THX and liked it for matrix material such as TV, and video tape. No experience with DPL II. Seems this would be an interesting comparison.

With receivers that feature both DPLII and THX can you use both and how does straight DPLII compare to THX + DPLII ?

Thanks

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I've got a DPLII receiver, and use it all the time for TV shows (just watched West Wing and Law & Order tonight) -- I really like it.

Until others more knowledgeable arrive, I'll make some guesses. I don't think THX is a processor, per se. Rather, there is a THX-certified Dolby Pro Logic (DPL) processor that does a better job than standard DPL processing. Since DPLII supercedes DPL in all ways, and is considered to be the equal, if not superior, to all two-channel (to 5-channel) de-matrixer, it will most likely sound better than the THX DPL processor.

But, I'm just guessing on the THX stuff. DPLII is far better for TV shows than DPL was, though.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks Dave.

Anyone out there how has compared THX mode to DPL II for things like TV and video tapes?

4. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Dave hit the nail right on the head.

THX with standard DPL sorta "Fixes" it.

It de-corralates (makes them sereo) the rears and stops just about any extra bleeding and improves bass..

Now DPL2 has that already done and with THX post-processing it's supposed to be as close to DD 5.1 (if not better, in some peoples opinion) as you can humanly get..

I haven't even heard DPL II yet, so I can't give you my opinion..

But try out a Dolby Surround Encoded Laserdisc or DVD, use DPL 2 and flip on the THX and tell us what you think!

Nathan

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Hi Artie,

THX is really DPL2-Movie with some THX processing; differences are not very audible. I use DPL2-Music for all my TV and CD listening because the Music mode can be adjusted, while the Movie cannot. IMO, these adjustments improve the overall sound more than THX processing (without the adjustments).

I set my Onkyo 989 to: Panorama = ON, Dimension = 5, and Center Width = 5.

Ricky

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm interested in the replies to this also. I've been very happy with the THX prologic on my receiver for years. It really opens up the back, but the results are not always positive. For most movies I love it, but the "walk around the room" on the Video Essentials Laserdisc PCM track sounds really wack in THX. I wonder about DPL2.

7. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Ditto.