Has anyone checked out the Robin Thicke record?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Ok, I know I'm not usually the pop-prince around these parts (since I normally wholly reject anything not released on a label run out of some kid's bedroom)-- but this Thicke record "cherry blue skies" is a lot of fun. I don't think it's officially "out" yet (had a Nov release originally, now pushed to Feb-- which is STUPID as this is SO a summer record and should be release in mid-april).

Robin Thicke is Alan Thicke's (yes, from Growing Pains) kid. He does sort of a greasy-whiteboy falsetto thing, and on most songs he will remind you of a "songs in the key of life"-era Stevie Wonder.

You might have heard the track "Alright" ('i'm-a be all right, I'm-a keep on dancin-- gonna keep the champaign all to myself') in a recent gateway ad-- and I think the whole band "Thicke" was featured in a sprite commercial (the song "Alone" it built primarily from a sample of the BeeGee's 5th of Beethoven)...

The album is a bit hit and miss- with some tracks being a bit on the "good idea that went nowhere" and sometimes the lyrics are a little lacking in any degree of self-awareness (as if penned by a very earnest 8th grader)-- but overall the record is a lot of fun.

I'm sure this thing will come out, and will be lumped in with the Justin Timberlake type scene- and maybe will become a hit with 15 year old girls. But I'd say if you're a fan of older jackson 5 / stevie wonder output from the 1970s, you might give this disc a spin!

-vince

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wow, i must be super-cutting edge. Nobody has heard thicke?

I wonder if when the record comes out next month there will be a half dozen threads, then i can act all cool and tell you I was "so there first".

-V

3. William G. Lipe

I'm glad somebody has heard about this guy. I first heard "When I Get You Alone" about 6 months ago. I immediately put Cherry Blue Skies on my "Music to Get" list, but for some reason the record got pushed back. I will definitely be picking this up. Thanks Vince.

WiGgLe [​IMG]

4. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I heard about him when the video "When I Get You Alone" first premiered. But Gideon Yago and Iann Robinson reported that video was taken off air due to the album's way pushed back release date.

5. William G. Lipe

According to Amazon.com the album has now been pushed back to April 8th, and the title has been changed from "Cherry Blue Skies" to "Beautiful World". [​IMG]

I was looking forward to getting this soon... [​IMG]

WiGgLe [​IMG]