Has anyone built or heard the Adire Monolith?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blake G, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Blake G

Blake G Agent

So I was browsing the Adire site looking at possible Tumult applications, and came across this design. I have searched here and at HD and never come across anyone that actually built one. I have access to a cabinetmaker-grade woodshop, and he owes me some time so the cost of the cabinets would be nil.

Basically I am looking for some user feedback on building (4) of these (total price ~$3800) or something different. I have thought of driving to Canada to pick up 4 servo-15s.

I currently run dual svs 20-39s (original) off a fidek 700 and a behringer 1124, and am happy for the most part, except that my wife has finally had enough of the cylinder subs on either side of my TV. Believe it or not, she would rather have these huge boxes instead.

And to be quite honest, I have been listening louder and they have bottomed out more in the last few weeks than ever before.

I currently run an upgraded Denon 5800 into an Outlaw ICBM to derive stereo bass.

Basically, would 4 of these go louder/lower than my dual svs's, and is there an alternative to these that would fit in my budget?

Thanks for all your help,

Blake

2. Chris.Brunhaver

Well, I think DIY subs are a no brainer because of the great price performance ratio. It becomes more of a slippery slope when adding in plate amps though. The HS500 is cool, but for doing 4 subs, IMO, a waste of money versus doing a prosound amp + BFD or other x-over/EQ. For that about of money you could do 2 crown k2's. Anyway, I also think that you could save a lot of money in a PR design by using the Styke PRs on sale at acoustic-visions.com. The tempest is a good driver, but there are a lot of other good options too such as the tumult, stryke av series woofers and PE DVC series woofers that will give you different options as far as size, output and efficiency go. Whatever we are talking about for $2k+ will outpace your SVS tubes significantly, but how much output do you really need?

-Chris

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

And with the size of enclosure needed by a driver like the Tempest, fitting a 6" diameter port is not a problem. So you could spend several $100 making them all PR based, or you could just buy a length of 6" schedule 40 PVC pipe for well under $100 and get the same results.
    Have you seen this before (not the links to pics and an FAQ at the top)?
    http://www.f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/
    You could do 4 Tumults with a nice EQ and a couple pro amps for a lot less than $3800.
    Another option would be to do 2 Tumults (4 if you are crazy and want to spend the money) in a passive radiator box.
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/tumult.htm
    And again I'd agree with Chris for this one too. Go with some good proamps and a nice EQ over a HS series amp.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

4 tumults @ 1000w each + LT and you can say bye-bye to to your house. Heck, even your neighbors will develop strange rattles in their walls.

5. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo Stunt Coordinator

Blake,

If you want to listen loud, and low, with plenty headroom, multiple subs are a good answer. Placement will be a challenge, but part of the fun too.