Has anyone built a small(95L) shiva sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seungsoo Hwang, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

I am about to start making one in the SBB4 alignment from the white papers. Has anyone else made one? How does it sound(I am looking for more mid/upper bass this time)? Do you have a webpage where I might look upon your creation?
    thanks

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I built an 85L tuned to 23Hz, sounded great. Only downside is you're limited to a single 4" port before vent lengths get out of hand. Several Austin-area HTFers heard mine at a past meet and it seemed to please most everyone there.
    Mark

3. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

4. Kyle G

Kyle G Auditioning

Yup, i've got a Shiva in an SBB4 alignment. Sounds great, but it seems to be a lot more powerful in the 22-35hz region than it is in the 35-60hz. When I built my Parts Express 15"DVC sub and added it to my system, I noticed that the low end was way overpowering compared to the mid-bass. So what I did was I cut down the port length on the Shiva sub to about 6 or 7 inches and now it is tuned to about 33 or 34hz. The whole system sounds great now because I have lots of midbass "punch" and I still get plenty of lows from the 15". I'm only telling you this because as I recall you have a 15" sub also(?). If you do, try what I did, it sounds great! Oh, one more thing, you might think the Shiva would bottom out during low bass scenes in movies because of its higher tuning but surprisingly it hasn't yet! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Hearing and listening are two entirely diffrent things"
    www.angelfire.com/movies/myhometheater

5. Seungsoo Hwang

Thanks for the measurements Mark. They shed some light on things. Kyle, I have the 15" Dayton tuned reall low, about 19hz. This wasnt very satisfactory in the music department for me, lacked the punch I get at the clubs for midbass techno and hiphop that I listen to a lot of. Was the 23hz tuning really unsatisfactory for you? While for now your system would be a good way to go, I will be using this sub solely on its own when I am in college, so I guess going with the orginal 22-23hz tuning would be better to cover more material.

6. Kyle G

Kyle G Auditioning

Well, not that the 23hz tuning was really unsatisfactory, it was okay, but the higher tuning on the sub sounds SO much better when paired up with the 15". I get a good amount or that "kick you in the gut" type of bass with both movies and music that I never got before. I'd really recommend doing what I did. Also, since the sub will be tuned higher, you could probably get away with using a slightly smaller enclosure (like 70 liters).
    Good luck with the project!
    ------------------
    "Hearing and listening are two entirely diffrent things"
    www.angelfire.com/movies/myhometheater

7. Seungsoo Hwang

Mark, a question. In the in-room response graph, how much power was applied?
    thanks

8. chris hunigan

Kyle G,
    >>I get a good amount or that "kick you in the gut" type of bass with both movies and music that I never got before. I'd really recommend doing what I did. Also, since the sub will be tuned higher, you could probably get away with using a slightly smaller enclosure (like 70 liters).

9. Kyle G

Kyle G Auditioning

>>Okay what I heard from both the coffee table sub and my Twin Sealed sub was a MESH MADE IN HEAVEN. I mean the two together blended wonderfully within our room.