Has anyone bought a PC from Alienware or Voodoo PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickC, Jan 20, 2002.

1. NickC

NickC Second Unit

If you have could you please post any comments or thoughts you might have on either company.

Thank You,

Nick C

2. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

Nick....

I live in Calgry, which is where Voodoo is located. The company I work for used Voodoo as it's principle supplier of workstation PC's. The computers themselves were very well built, tested, and delivered as promised....that is until Voodoo the company, started to get "too big".

Rahul(owner) started to send his "gaming" rigs into some of the large magazines in the states for evaluation. The systems spoke for themselves, and Voodoo started to take the best buys away from Area51, etc. It was at this time that the orders started rolling in to Voodoo...and that is where the service started to suffer a bit. The delivery dates we were quoted, started to get longer, and longer. The systems we were buying were worth $2000 CDN, and were not as expensive as some of the Ultimate rigs that Voodoo became known for. We found that we were starting to take second place to these more expensive systems that they had started to ship south.

We decided to go elsewhere, and never heard from Rahul as to where we had gone....this spoke volumes, to us, anyway. I am sure that if you decide to give Voodoo a shot, you will be pleased. The systems they build are very good, and do come with a decent support program.

We decided to buy elsewhere...it seemed to us that Rahul had forgotten those PC sales that helped them to get started.

My 2 cents....

3. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Can't punish a company for making a turn from the mainstream cutthroat computer firms to finding a niche as the number one builder of performance systems...
    ...I commend them for that. [​IMG]

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Nick,
    Search this section of the forum for posts regarding Alienware. There was a big discussion about them a few weeks ago. I'm very against Alienware systems. Find my post, and see why [​IMG]

5. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Check out www.resellerratings.com
    Very useful search site for customer feedback... but as per usual, you are mostly going to get the negative.

6. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Not much negative on Voodoo... (remember it's rated out out of 7... I have no idea why)

7. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Nick,
    Have you ever considered building your own system? I built both of my systems and saved alot of $$$$. Building your own is fun and you can get whatever goodies you want for it. I built a decent budget system and a really nice gaming rig and had a lot of fun doing it [​IMG]

8. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Stacy_V,
    I've researched Voodoo computers for quite a while now and can honestly say that you are the first and only person I have ever seen say anything negative about the company or the products. I was starting to think that voodoo was too good to be true.
    This is not a knock against your post or anything, I'm just surprised I FINALLY saw something that someone didn't like about them!! [​IMG]

9. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

Jason...

Voodoo builds excellent systems...there is no question about that. If you were to buy a system from them you would be pleased, I have no doubt. What I was trying to get across, was that Voodoo seemed to forget an earlier customer of theirs when their business naturally picked up. This may have been due to them becoming so busy that they were not properly able to keep up...I'm not sure.

I never meant to slam Voodoo, just wanted to post my 2 cents. Take it as you wish.

Stacey

10. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Stacy,
    Yeah, unfortunately that is usually the result of a company getting a larger customer base - customer service on an individual basis usually suffers a bit. I'm just sorry you had to be one of the one's to feel the effect. I am definately thinking of buying a voodoo in the near future, so I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for the info.[​IMG]

11. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Why would you spend the kind of money Voodoo wants when you can get a similar pc from other reputable vendors for much cheaper? I couldn't believe some of their prices and to think that the equipment is outdated the day you buy it. Just my opinion.

12. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Rob, the price is definately high but the lifetime upgrade insurance and customer service make the extra cost worth it in my mind. View the policies on their website for more info on their services.