What's new

Has anyone actually had an ISF calibration? (1 Viewer)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I have ... I've done it to my own TVs for years. :D

Unfortunately asking your question leaves things way open ended.

It's like asking if anyone has ever used a mechanic or a lawyer ... with a certain underlying assumption that all services under a banner are the same when they are most certainly not.

Good medical advice or bad ... it's all medical advice.

When it comes to ISF calibrations ... well you can hire any that are close to you with little research or you can figure out which are the best of the best and go from there.

One can get a calibration done in 15 minutes in some cases but leave the client with no understanding of what the end result represent.

Or one can get a calibration done in 3 to 4 hours with the same end product for the TV image ... but the client is left with a greater understanding and appreciation of the process.

In both cases ... the TV is calibrated and the charge might actually be the same.

Yes, there is a lot more that meets to eye to hiring a professional calibrator than just blindly calling one up.

Regards

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
I completely understand you and respect your opinion and position. Unfortunately, what really confuses me is that no one ever speaks to this subject except calibrators.

Again...with respect, I am hoping that there would be a huge difference in results between a 15 minute or a 3 to 4 hour calibration process, regardless of the customers improved appreciation or understanding of the process and results, although it goes without saying that an understanding goes a long way and much further in providing satisfaction with regards for the end results to any and all things...maybe.

I can enjoy an excellently prepared steak dinner without knowing what took place in the kitchen with regards to technology, process or preparation...and also recognize the same dish as disappointing when prepared improperly.

Just because a quack is selling a cure all potion and defends it wonderfully does not mean that is is indeed a cure all potion.

Now don't get upset with me...I actually defend the ISF/THX calibrators and calibration process. I want a calibration and actually think I will see improvement in my Pro-111FD's performance, but I wish some people out there who have had this done would speak up and share their experiences and results.

I posted a similar question in another forum and received no response from the very calibrator who helped me to understand and have appreciation for the process. I was very excited and then left hanging. I felt as if answering my questions honestly was not going to help the ISF calibrator brothers.

Answers to my questions would have been expected...or so I believed.

In fact no one ever responds to this subject except calibrators.

Here is the text from the last post in the forum I spoke of earlier:

Hey Gregg, nice to hear from you. So if I get my Pioneer Pro-111FD professionally calibrated at 150hrs do I need to re-calibrate at 1 year? Aside from the earlier question, how often do you need to professionally calibrate displays? Hear is a real good question for you...how far off are these units from a professional calibration and how much difference would I really see? I am not looking to see if this is necessary or not, I think it is, it is just that I love this display and can't wait for increased performance after the professional calibration is complete and I realize one bad setting can make a huge difference, I just want to know from your experience, what is the difference from out of the box and what level of improvement I can realize. Also, there are many ISF professionals available in my area...how do I pick one...by test equipment listed, years experience, etc.? Thanks Gregg.

In Gregg's defense, he may have assumed that someone else was answering these questions or maybe he is busy or out of town etc. I do not mean any disrespect to Gregg...in fact he may not have even seen the last question I posted...so I apologize in advance if this is the case.

In addition it is not the fault of ISF/THX calibrators that their customers have not shared their experiences with others on this forum.

In closing I think I have found a good calibrator that meets my needs and will provide me with satisfactory results...Home

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I have had my set calibrated 3 years running. My thoughts are yes it does cost some real money to do this sort of thing and the inital first investment is the worst but I do like have a tv that looks the way it is supposed to when I throw in a movie! I wouldn't keep having it touched up every year if I didn't like the end results. If you have any more specific questions...ask away. I will do my best to answer.

Also...Gregg has been to my house and did great work.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I had my old CRT RPTV calibrated. Well worth it for that display. I have not had my X1 calibrated, nor will I. I may get my next projector calibrated, or may not.

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
Thank you for sharing. I completely defend calibration and am in support of it. I just wanted to hear from some of the people who have benefited from the procedure.

Much is said about “seeing what the directors intended you to see” and I am on board with that.

My questions are as follows:

What do you think? Forget about what others tell you. Report what your initial expectations were and what you actual gut feelings are now.

I suspect the responses will be positive and I look forward to hearing them.

Additionally…if you purchase a medium level display I suspect that the settings might be far from optimal. But, if you purchase a top of the line reference display like a Pro-111FD, would it be wrong to assume that this level of quality places the settings close to optimal?

I may be answering my own question, as I have made a few adjustments to the settings on my Pro-111FD based on HomeTheater.com and UltimateAVMag.com reviews of the display and have seen a wonderful improvement in PQ.

So in closing I just want to hear about other experiences, and when I have my set calibrated I will post a review for your benefit.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
Well, with my display...RPTV, I know I can't keep that thing in check with just Avia so thats why I hired these guys. They did wonders alone with my convergence patterns. Now if I were getting a Pro-111FD (God I want one!!) I have the advantage of a comparison...which I would do then go from there. I've already had work done on a previous set so I would probably get a little discount anyway. If I had the money...yes, I would probably get the set done if I could see a big difference from what I already have. If your going spend that kind of money on a set like you describe...whats a little more to make sure it looks it's best. You don't have to keep doing it year after year if you didn't really see a difference. I know what you mean and when I adopt a newer technology, I might not feel the same about it. Plasma and RPTV's are very different. For what I have right now...I'll spend the money.

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
Now that is what I am talking about...thanks Douglas.

It is great to hear about technologies, experiences and results based on expectations and real gut feelings.

I can't wait to get my Pro-111FD calibrated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks